LegacyGT.com

96 problems but hopefully a new trans ain't one

My transmission in my 96 just started leaking all over my exhaust, and when I went to check the gear oil level it was 2 qts low. I was wondering if there were any specific areas I should check to start off with.

Another thing - this transmission is not new, but new to me and so I have no idea the history of this transmission but I know it's at about 200k (my car is at exactly 250k) and my ol wagon won't start sometimes and instead just makes a buzzing sound for the first ~15 times you turn the key (it always eventually starts) AND for a third thing my clutch makes a ticking noise when I push in the pedal which makes me think throwout bearing but if anyone else more knowledgeable about these 5 speeds has another idea I'd love to hear it.

Please help me I certainly need it :spin:

• 1 month later...
UPDate: SO I know it's hella extra but I replaced both axles and both diff side seals (yes I did the o-rings on the preload adjustment... rings?) and it's sTILL leaking. It's an invisible leak as I cannot find ANY drips but it was reading below low today. This has me throwing my arms up in the air as I fixed the leak.... I checked 3 times after I replaced the seals and axles if it was still leaking and it was not.

4EAT or 5MT?

The auto can certainly have air trapped in a bunch of the works after getting that low and could take a couple tries to get it topped off. The manual, not so much.

He said it's a manual at the top. Check the rear seal that the midshaft goes into. It's hard to see this area because there is a heat shield that protects the transmission and midshaft rubber donut from the heat of the resonator and cats.

• 1 month later...

Archived