LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy stuttering and hesitating below operating temp.

This has been going on for a long time. I have discussed it here already but thought I had it fixed but turns out the problem goes away during the heat of summer and now that the nights are cooling down, when I start the car and drive it first thing in the morning with the fan blowing I feel the stutter/hesitation. The vent fan lags up and down up and down but as it warms up it is almost unnoticeable.

I'm guessing it is something to do with electrical maybe a temperature control or something. Anyone have any experience with such a issue. Naturally this car has been through the ringer so it could be something so random I might just have to live with it.

A few things that I'd look at:

• Check for intake leaks - cracked hoses etc.
  • Check EGR valve, it may not close completely.
  • Engine temperature sensor.
  • Manifold air pressure sensor.
  • Clean ignition coils and replace ignition cables with fresh ones.

Also check with a code reader for any codes, also pending codes.

453747.png

Thanks guys, the issue is much more pronounced with the blower fan on. It's been too hot to run the blower fan up until now. In the morning I will drive it to work without the blower fan to see if there is a difference. I'm suspecting the car hesitation is minimal just seemingly more pronounced when the blower lags.

I do expect the actual driving hesitation to become more extreme as the temps drop. It was pretty extreme this last winter.

A few things that I'd look at:

•  
  • Check EGR valve, it may not close completely.

Mine started doing the same thing about a week ago and I got a MIL on for only 2 days, so luckily I checked it and came up with an P0400 EGR code.

I researched the code and it seems that when the temperature drops, condensation gets into the Back pressure transducer causing it to not close the EGR valve at idle or under WOT. There was a FSB a while back that says to test the BPT and see if you can blow air into it if it comes out any other ports. If it does, the BPT is bad and needs to be replaced. When replacing it, it's recommended to install an inline filter 22663AA010.

My code went away after a couple days, but on Monday it stumbled pretty hard to the point of almost stalling it, so I'll be replacing the BPT and adding the filter.

Please keep me posted Setnev, I haven't lifted a finger yet, waiting for a day off to start the diagnoses. If you your repair works, I would appreciate any links you found helpful for the task. Good luck with yours.

Archived