LegacyGT.com

2005 GT oil pressure issues

Gday all. I bought an '05 GT wagon a month ago and the turbo promptly blew. I replaced it last week with a new one and discovered to my horror that there was no oil pressure to the turbo feed and ACVS lines. The engine runs fine, there is oil pressure but not to the port on the head where the turbo oil feed is.

Anyone ever come across this issue? I'm thinking of a temporary feed off the sender switch port and then running engine flush to try to clear whatever is blocking it.

Any thoughts?

thanks

noob teaching the noob!

I get to relay what I've just been learning! yay! Seems like the filters in the oil feed banjo bolts can clog up pretty quickly and contribute to low oil pressure. It's recommended that they get removed and that oil is monitored closely and changed every 3k miles.

Also, depending on how your turbo "blew" you may have a lot bigger problems. I just had precisely this problem and have been keeping up a thread on my progress.

Also, there are a ton of other informative posts about turbo failure. I'd recommend starting by spending a few nights just reading through some threads on here (if you haven't already)

New guy has learned, remove the filter from the banjo bolt on the back of the passenger side head.

How bad the old turbo blow ? You most likely have metal in your oil system.

There's a few things you need to do. Read the sticky's at the tops of the forums.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

As yet it appears nobody has spelled it out: a blown turbo can and often will dump shrapnel into the oil supply. In the case of the turbo you just blew, that may not have happened because apparently it was not being included in the oil supply. But what about the previous turbo? A completely clogged banjo filter is relatively rare, and yours - and/or other oil passages - may be clogged by pieces of the previous turbo. Before installing yet another turbo, it's a really good idea to pull the oil pan and check for glitter.

Apparently no one read my post thoroughly. I REMOVED the banjo bolts (both turbo feed and ACVS) before testing for oil pressure. There is no oil coming out of the port even with engine running. It has nothing to do with the oil screen because IT'S NOT THERE ANYMORE! My question was why is the port not putting out any oil?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Apparently YOU didn't read what was told to you. There is a banjo bolt on the back of the PS head that HAS A FILTER IN IT AND IT'S THE MAIN FEED TO BOTH OF THOSE LOCATIONS.

I read your post thoroughly and told you what to do. You need to ask if you don't understand something rather than putting out an accusatory tone. There are a LOT of people on this forum with a LOT of information and a LOT of experience and they are ALL willing to help you. Being a jackass won't get you very far.

My money is on oil passage being blocked by debris from your initial blown turbo.

FYI your first post doesn't mention removing the filter the lies within the banjo bolts.

Have you sent off an oil sample to be analyzed? Have you dropped the oil pan and inspected for glitter??

No you didn't. I'm trying to save your turbo and engine. Post a photo of the banjo bolt from the back of the PS head. You took the banjo bolt out of top of the turbo and top of your AVCS as per your post. There are 2 banjo bolts with filters and your own post says you didn't take either one out.

When it pops again and takes the shortblock with it, THEN you'll find them.

No you didn't. I'm trying to save your turbo and engine. Post a photo of the banjo bolt from the back of the PS head. You took the banjo bolt out of top of the turbo and top of your AVCS as per your post. There are 2 banjo bolts with filters and your own post says you didn't take either one out.

When it pops again and takes the shortblock with it, THEN you'll find them.

Please stop the attempts to sound so wise and quit the patronizing. My question is simply this:

Has anyone come across plugged oil passages on these heads?

Why would I bother posting pics of the screen when it has been physically REMOVED from the head and is not functional? It is actually part of the banjo bolt as you should well know. I removed BOTH banjo bolts FYI, and neither one is plugged.

I'm not going to run the engine with no oil pressure to the turbo, I simply want to know if there is a history of plugged passages and if so is there a solution?

...and discovered to my horror that there was no oil pressure to the turbo feed and ACVS lines. The engine runs fine, there is oil pressure but not to the port on the head where the turbo oil feed is...

Can you explain what you did to test this? Honestly, if there is no oil coming out of the port on the head that feeds the ACVS/Turbo, it sounds like you need to pull the heads, oil pan, etc. Especially if a turbo has already died.

• I Donated Too
Please stop the attempts to sound so wise and quit the patronizing.

He is only trying to help and as for wise... just to point out that there is JmP who builds Turbos now in the 100's for the people on this here forum. He most definitely knows what he is talking about.

He is a little patronizing though. I'll give you that.

Please stop the attempts to sound so wise and quit the patronizing. My question is simply this:

Has anyone come across plugged oil passages on these heads?

Why would I bother posting pics of the screen when it has been physically REMOVED from the head and is not functional? It is actually part of the banjo bolt as you should well know. I removed BOTH banjo bolts FYI, and neither one is plugged.

I'm not going to run the engine with no oil pressure to the turbo, I simply want to know if there is a history of plugged passages and if so is there a solution?

You absolutely don't have to listen to me. Do as you will.

He is only trying to help and as for wise... just to point out that there is JmP who builds Turbos now in the 100's for the people on this here forum. He most definitely knows what he is talking about.

He is a little patronizing though. I'll give you that.

Wait. Patronizing? Moi?

Turbo banjo filter is clogged. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE UNTIL YOU GET IT OUT OF THERE OR YOU'LL BLOW THE NEW ONE TOO!

This!! I learned the hard way.. replacement turbo went in under 500 miles.. I missed the banjo bolt behind the passenger head.. I held it up to the sun and you could only see maybe like 8 little dots of light and the rest of it was brown/black and clogged.

Archived