LegacyGT.com

CEL came on and threw a P0420 (bad catalytic converter) for an 05' Outback. Help?

FrankNature

I have an 05' Outback (2.5L SOHC 5MT) and it just gave me the P0420 code: Catalyst System Below Efficiency Below Threshold Bank. So do I just go and replace both of the Cats? If I got aftermarket will a new catalytic converter

improve the sound? Or should I just go with OEM? Any advice would help before I drop a $1k at autozone for both of the Cats. Sorry for sounding like a noob, and if this is the wrong place my apologies.

P0420 can be caused by a number of different things. Just swapping parts in could be expensive and unnecessary. The best thing to do is troubleshoot the problem before you replace any parts. Either you or a competent technician needs to go through a diagnostic procedure; you can download info for your car here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vacation-pix-171435.html

The cause could be such things as:

-bad front oxygen sensor

-bad rear oxygen sensor

-faulty wiring

-exhaust leak

-bad catalytic converter

If you have more questions, it might be good to post under the general forum for your car's generation.

P0420 can be caused by a number of different things. Just swapping parts in could be expensive and unnecessary. The best thing to do is troubleshoot the problem before you replace any parts. Either you or a competent technician needs to go through a diagnostic procedure; you can download info for your car here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vacation-pix-171435.html

The cause could be such things as:

-bad front oxygen sensor

-bad rear oxygen sensor

-faulty wiring

-exhaust leak

-bad catalytic converter

If you have more questions, it might be good to post under the general forum for your car's generation.

Thank you man I appreciate your help!

Archived