LegacyGT.com

Whistling Sound

What up yo! i have a 2000 Legacy GT Limited Sedan and i'm just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. my issue/debate is that my car makes a whistling noise when i step on the accelerator the faster the car goes the louder the whistling goes. i can't seem to locate where the whistling sound is coming from. any thoughts???

similar issue on my 2005 lgt.. i thought it was the exhaust and put on a new axel back on but it remains.. even parked or when its in neutral if you rev it up you can make it whistle..

maybe the downpipe cat is starting to get clogged up?

similar issue on my 2005 lgt.. i thought it was the exhaust and put on a new axel back on but it remains.. even parked or when its in neutral if you rev it up you can make it whistle..

maybe the downpipe cat is starting to get clogged up?

Sadly the Third gen didnt come with a turbo option for the US, usually its the door seals at the mirror, its a pretty well documented issue for all the BE/BH cars there was a tsb issued for it as well.

Are you saying this whistling sound gets louder when the engine revs up, or louder when the car is moving faster?

Is this something new? Have you done any work or added anything onto the car recently?

on mine the car can be parked and the more I rev it the more intense the whistle will get... it only happens when I get on it quickly (rev it quick as opposed to slowly increasing revs) and only after about 3500rpm or so..

Im thinking it has to be a pin hole leak in the exhaust somewhere but I am also going to inspect all the intake tubing, box, seals etc. if I cant find it easily myself Ill be doing smoke test on it next week to find it and fix it

Do you still have the factory air box/piping/intake?

the expansion chambers (theres two of them iirc) that work to eliminate throttle body noise.

i pulled mine off and bent a thinwall pipe to pull from the fender and mine has alot more intake noise that could be described as whistling?

Archived