LegacyGT.com

Which Legacy GTs are the most reliable?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it sounds like I should look into later yr models because they came without the banjo oil filter, unless the oil filter was removed and it's noted.
People kind of freak out about the banjo bolt filters. If they used synthetic oil, changed frequently (3750 miles) and used the correct oil filter, the filter is probably fine. It's when the oil system gets dirty or sludged, or a turbo bearing disintegrates and fills the filter with metal particles that it causes problems.

When I removed mine at 50K miles, they were perfectly clean except for two or three tiny specks of carbon.

Removing the banjos from an 05 - 06 isn't terrible. The 07-09 models have a few features that are preferable to the 05-06 (split folding seats, aux jack on oem stereo, decatted up pipe, other stuff). Cobb tuned is better than stock 99% of the time. Even the off the shelf maps are safe. Definitely get a pre-purchase inspection from someone that has experience with turbo Subarus, they are a bit finicky.

I used to have a '07 G35s, my stock LGT was about as fast, a Stg2 (downpipe and tune) LGT will be considerably faster, and is still pretty reliable. Horsepower figures stock for stock are lower, but Subarus make torque much easier. Both are great cars with their own issues.

This forum is an awesome resource whether you're trying to remain close to stock, or get to 500whp/ftlbs.

Brought to you by Pfizer

People kind of freak out about the banjo bolt filters. If they used synthetic oil, changed frequently (3750 miles) and used the correct oil filter, the filter is probably fine.

However, if I can manage to find a newer one, why not!?

Removing the banjos from an 05 - 06 isn't terrible. The 07-09 models have a few features that are preferable to the 05-06 (split folding seats, aux jack on oem stereo, decatted up pipe, other stuff). Cobb tuned is better than stock 99% of the time. Even the off the shelf maps are safe. Definitely get a pre-purchase inspection from someone that has experience with turbo Subarus, they are a bit finicky.

I used to have a '07 G35s, my stock LGT was about as fast, a Stg2 (downpipe and tune) LGT will be considerably faster, and is still pretty reliable. Horsepower figures stock for stock are lower, but Subarus make torque much easier. Both are great cars with their own issues.

This forum is an awesome resource whether you're trying to remain close to stock, or get to 500whp/ftlbs.

Not having to re-do the stereo in a complicated way like my G35 would be awesome

If it was the 07 G35s that means sedan right? Because the G35 coupes never came with a "s" designation. And that would mean VQ35HR engine? I have an 05 G35 coupe 6MT, mostly stock.

Maybe I'll just get the pre-purchase inspection from a well-rated Subaru dealer.

Damn, I guess the 5MT wagon was discontinued after 2006, so if I want a wagon it would have to be an earlier year.
They did sell them in Canada for a few more years. Not sure if that helps you, but...

Huh, that's good to know. So same engine/transmission.

Only thing is, I HATE when it's the two tone different color body vs bumper style of paint, so that restricts the outbacks a little bit I think.

If I'm looking for the 2.5 turbo outback does that mean I'm only looking for the XT?

Also, is there any significant mechanical difference between the ride height?

Huh, that's good to know. So same engine/transmission.

Only thing is, I HATE when it's the two tone different color body vs bumper style of paint, so that restricts the outbacks a little bit I think.

If I'm looking for the 2.5 turbo outback does that mean I'm only looking for the XT?

Also, is there any significant mechanical difference between the ride height?

I believe the limited trim level has the single color body and trim. Mine is all one color. XT = turbo

Thanks Rhitter, yours looks good! I have to say though, I won't have my own driveway so somebody else will be doing the work. How much do you think the suspension modification would cost?

In addition, could somebody tell me what "limited" means for Subarus? I see it both for the LGT OBXT, and I'm wondering if it's something I need. If you don't want to explain it, feel free to link something that does.

Thanks Rhitter, yours looks good! I have to say though, I won't have my own driveway so somebody else will be doing the work. How much do you think the suspension modification would cost?

In addition, could somebody tell me what "limited" means for Subarus? I see it both for the LGT OBXT, and I'm wondering if it's something I need. If you don't want to explain it, feel free to link something that does.

Higher end trim level. Includes one color body and trim, sun roof, leather seats, and I'm sure a few other goodies.

Thanks for the link and info! Is the leather that Subaru uses comfy? Or is it pretty sticky in the summer

I like it. Found it comfortable on three hour trips. Haven't had any problem with it being sticky in the heat. I wear shorts all the time during the summer and never thought about it. But mine is tan interior which is likely to be cooler than black.

Thanks for the link and info! Is the leather that Subaru uses comfy? Or is it pretty sticky in the summer

It's not sticky at all, but it's not exactly soft either especially as it gets older. I bought mine with 200K miles on the leather (under a cover most that time so no tears or wear) but man they are hard as a rock to the touch. Been working-in leather conditioner over time to see if it'll soften up.

However, if I can manage to find a newer one, why not!?

Not having to re-do the stereo in a complicated way like my G35 would be awesome

If it was the 07 G35s that means sedan right? Because the G35 coupes never came with a "s" designation. And that would mean VQ35HR engine? I have an 05 G35 coupe 6MT, mostly stock.

Maybe I'll just get the pre-purchase inspection from a well-rated Subaru dealer.

I love those coupes.

Yup it was a sedan. Not the awd version. Some kid rear ended me at about 40mph and totaled it out. Yeah it was the HR engine with an auto 5spd flappy paddle transmission, and dual throttle bodies. It was a nice car, the suspension out of the box was perfect. It had the headlights that followed the steering, cruise control with radar, and the upgraded sound system was awesome. I miss it. But with the amount of time and $$ I've put in the LGT, I like the LGT more.

If you want to upgrade the head unit, read the JDM conversion sticky under the audio forum. It's doable, but the adapter is about $300. If you're cool with just an aux jack (check out the Knivio BTC aux jack to bluetooth converter for $30, works like a champ), then no worries for 07-later models.

Wagons only were in 05/06. They're hard to find, but still pretty cool. I wish I had got one instead of my sedan. They don't have the aux jack.

If you like wrenching than the LGT is great, it's pretty easy to work on aside from having to do the damn inlet. Do your own oil changes, and check it regularly, they do tend to drink oil.

Parts are inexpensive, and you usually have options to upgrade whenever you have to replace something. If you don't have a garage, then maintaining it at this age can get expensive on the labor. Definitely have it inspected. I would have them pull the down pipe to take a look at the turbo (check for shaft play). Check for oil and coolant leaks. Check the inlet to see if it's torn, get a boost leak test done. If you decide to purchase, replace every fluid when you get it.

Getting a used oil analysis is a great way to check the internals of the motor inexpensively. It's a great car, but it needs love and a little luck if you want it to live a long time.

Things a lot of people recommend:

Tune (Cobb Accessport is easy to use)

Bar man bean's intercooler reinforcement kit

Up pipe for 05/06 LGTs

Inlet

Kartboy crank pulley (Subarus tend to separate)

Tune

Pull banjo filters

Company 23 barbed T

None of this stuff is particularly expensive with the exception of the Tune. But it's all helpful in keeping it running right. Where are you located? People from this forum are from all over and can recommend a good shop.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Yea the G35 suspension is just firm enough for a "spirited daily driver" as I like to call them. With the VDC set to off ya get just enough play to break the ass loose on tight corners. I wanted a G35 ever since my mom got her first FX35 back in 2004 and I finally bought it a couple years ago. Similarly to the Turbo 2.5 in these Subies, the 3.5 n/a in the G35 burns some oil. If I don't add any oil during a 5,000 mile interval, it will be dangerously low. At first I was considering just getting snow tires/rims for my car (which my girlfriend was volunteering to pay for), but then since my parents gifted me an old SUV (they're moving international anyways), I figured why not get a fun AWD car. Plus, my gf can drive it in exchange for maintenance costs.

I'd like to learn how to wrench, but like I said I won't have a driveway for now, so maybe not quite yet.

I'll check out the audio stickies though, thanks. I just hope that modifying the stereo in a LGT or OBXT is not as pricey as it is in the G35.

IMG_0111.JPG.a67b59b67f4cebda46e778495101c4de.JPG

Got it, thanks. I guess I shouldn't ask too many questions about the audio until I can hear it, but it seems like it's a similar situation to my G35 so if you want an aftermarket headunit you have to get the whole faceplate conversion and that's a costly thing.

Last question for now:

Are there any threads that go through a good cost/analysis of getting an OBXT and lowering it? I imagine it only makes sense if I could get an OBXT with the factory aux in, and then lower it without paying too much more than just paying for a stock LGT (if we're purely talking wagons)

Archived