LegacyGT.com

About to buy my first Subaru....

Folks:

Looking for a little advice as I"m about to buy my first Subaru. I'm looking to buy a 2013 Legacy 2.5i Premium. It has 60,500 miles. 1 owner who has to turn it back to the bank due to repo issues. I have the carfax maintenance record, as noted below. I'm mechanically inclined; have worked on maintaining all my past cars and seldom take them to dealers/mechanics. Only if the work is too ugly for me. I think this carfax isn't "impressive" but also not that bad. Note it does have brand new tires and also the body and paint is extremely clean. The repair noted in the carfax from the wreck can't be noticed--and I've seen lots of paint jobs. So they must have used OEM parts and paid a great shop for the paint work.

I'm asking for opinions of what--based on Subaru history--I should look for as signes of possible future issues. I'm normally a Honda guy, so I'm departing from the in-line 4 or v6 to a boxer. All new for me, but I'm excited to learn.

Thanks for your thoughts and here is the carfax data ( I put in dealer to avoid calling out a specific location).

August 11, 2013 1,041 "DEALER" - Remote start installed

February 2, 2013 5,746 "DEALER" Oil and filter changed, Fluided checked. REcommended maintance performed

March 18, 2013 Mileage Not given Accident reported involving rear impact with another motor vehicle. Estimated damages less than $1,000. Airbags did not deploy.

August 6, 2013 10,867 "DEALER" -Maintenance inspection completed

Recommended maintenance performed

7,500 mile service performed

Alignment checked

Fluids checked

Oil and filter changed

Tires rotated "

June 7, 2014 20,915 "DEALER" Maintenance inspection completed

Alignment checked

Fluids checked

Oil and filter changed

Tires rotated "

March 30, 2015 29,759 "DEALER" Maintenance inspection completed

Fluids checked

Oil and filter changed "

November 18, 2015 40,242 "DEALER" Battery/charging system checked

Fluids checked "

December 12, 2015 40,868 "DEALER" Fluids checked

April 23, 2016 44,576 "DEALER" Maintenance inspection completed

Fluids checked

Oil and filter changed

Tire condition and pressure checked

Tires rotated "

September 24, 2016 49,647 "DEALER" Fluids checked

Front brake pads replaced

Oil and filter changed "

December 5, 2016 52,093 "DEALER" Windshield replaced

The one thing that sticks out to me being an ex-mobile installation tech is the remote start installed afterwards. If it's not done correctly and you're not electrically inclined, it could become an issue. I would be looking under/inside the drivers side dash to see how good the install looks. Making sure it's not a rats nest of poorly connected wires. I used to be a Honda guy too. Easy to work on and run forever. However I've never gone back after owning a Subaru. I love the AWD for winters and all around have had great luck with them thus far. Others here will chime in with all they're wisdom. Any support you need you will defiantly find here on the forum.

I wouldn't worry at all about a $1000 rear impact. At that dollar amount, it probably didn't involve anything more than a new rear bumper cover and respray of the cover. Any sheet metal damage would have been several thousands, like 4 or 5, of dollars to repair. It was likely very cosmetic.

I would however worry about the title and how you're going to deal with that if the current lien holder is pursuing repossession. I would recommend speaking with them directly to see what their process is for you to purchase it without issue. You don't want it "repossessed" from your driveway after you hand over a boatload of cash to the current owner to "purchase" it. Be wary.

Only thing I would be worried about here would be the lack of regular maintenance like the oil changes. If this car was repo'd did they have the $30 to change the oil every 7500 miles? Did they do it every 10-15k miles like what the report suggests? It might be wise to do a couple oil changes back to back if you buy it to see what kind of sludge you can get out of it.

Only thing I would be worried about here would be the lack of regular maintenance like the oil changes. If this car was repo'd did they have the $30 to change the oil every 7500 miles? Did they do it every 10-15k miles like what the report suggests? It might be wise to do a couple oil changes back to back if you buy it to see what kind of sludge you can get out of it.

This was my thought too. If they can't pay the payments, it's very likely maintenance was skipped.

I would imagine the remote start was the factory one since it was dealer installed.

As far as other items to consider, you may want to take it in for a cvt fluid change and have the diffs serviced as well. I understand you do your own maintenance, but the cvt is still covered by Subaru and having the dealer service it will help with any future issues that may arise...or are likely to arise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I would imagine the remote start was the factory one since it was dealer installed.

Surprisingly, I wouldn't make this assumption. My wife wanted a remote start on her brand new Impreza when she leased it. They did not install the factory model like I expected. My parent's Impreza also has a remote start, and that one is definitely the factory model (open the door and the car shuts off, etc), but that's not the one my wife ended up getting.

Thanks for the feedback. No worries on the previous owner. The bank repossessed it fully. The title, etc, is with the bank and now with me. Where I bought it provides additional coverage (1K to me) if it is stolen. Say the previous owner wants it back and has a key, etc.

I worried a bit about the oil schedule as well; however, it's not 'horrible", given going 7,500 between changes isn't an issue and with modern oils, going 10K is also not horrific in terms of damage.

As for the damage, I figured it out. Someone repainted the passenger side quarter pannel and blended the pain very well. Didn't go beyond the top of the panel and the rear bumper cover is OEM. THe only real issue on the entire car is a few rock chips on the hood that have been touched up with touch-up paint. Outside of that, very clean indeed.

I agree on the CVT. I will pay to have it's oil changed in about 2 or 3 months. I want to drive and own it for a bit just to make sure I want to keep it. I will drain and replace differential oils myself in about a week.

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. Here's to many year's of a reliable car.

Congrats on the new car! And welcome to the forum! This is a fantastic community!!!

Check your oil with every fill up at the gas station for at least the next few months, so you can get a baseline. Sometimes these early FB25 motors, if the engine oil has not been changed regularly, can burn thru a little oil between changes and then end up with a low oil condition if not checked often, like every 1000 miles. This can snowball out of control with no remedy but a new motor if it is allowed to happen too many times. Just get familiar with it until you have a history of knowing if it is an oil consumer or not.

Also be very careful you don't accidentally drain the CVT instead of the front diff, it has happened to many people with this car. Be absolutely certain you get the correct drain for the front diff.

Good luck with it and congrats on joining the 5th gen owners club!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Many times dealer installed remote starts are not OEM. Also he noted that he put "dealer" to keep out shops specific names which may translate that it was done aftermarket at a shop. I've worked for both dealers and independent shops. If it's not plug and play, the dealer usually does not perform the install of them unless they have an installation tech. If it's cheaper than the OEM to have an aftermarket installed, they will sometimes go that route to get the customer what they want and keep cost down. I'm not picking at you, just speaking from personal/professional experiance.

Many times dealer installed remote starts are not OEM. Also he noted that he put "dealer" to keep out shops specific names which may translate that it was done aftermarket at a shop. I've worked for both dealers and independent shops. If it's not plug and play, the dealer usually does not perform the install of them unless they have an installation tech. If it's cheaper than the OEM to have an aftermarket installed, they will sometimes go that route to get the customer what they want and keep cost down. I'm not picking at you, just speaking from personal/professional experiance.

I should have updated everyone. All work on this car was done by the dealer--including the remote start. I went to the dealer that did the work in the beginning and they quoted me 90 for each remote key and 60 to program 1 or many. So minimum $150 or $210 for a matching set to go with the keys. I think I'll pass on getting replacements.

Archived