LegacyGT.com

blown pcv valve? and lots of oil!

Hi,

Long time lurker and was wondering how to tell if pcv valve is blown or one of the sensors on the motor is blown thus making it leak lots of oil.

the first photo shows the oil sitting on top of the block.. second and third shows sensors that might be bad? the third is oil pick up sensor if i'm not mistaken? what about the second one?

thanks in advance.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/luozhirong/IMG_20170811_161332.jpg

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/luozhirong/IMG_20170811_161431.jpg

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/luozhirong/IMG_20170811_161410.jpg

I can't view the photo's here at work, but the PCV should rattle when you shake it. If it rattles its good.

If it doesn't that will cause to much pressure in the crank case.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is this a GT? If so pull the intercooler to get a better look and pull the PCV valve to check as suggested.

How long have you owned the car? Has it consumed oil since you got it? Looks like quite a bit of build up and has been leaking for a while.

Valve cover gaskets? Seems to be a lot of oil for that issue.

Now that I can see the pictures...that's really not a lot of oil, how old is the car...

Are there drips on the ground ? Is the bottom of the car covered with fresh oil ?

Here's my leaky valve cover after 154,000 miles.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4731.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

i've had the car for about a year now. It smokes when i drive it on the freeway in the morning and i can actually smell the oil dripping on and burning off. the car drips a bit of oil. its a 05 lgt. the bottom has a lot of buildup as well..

Definitely check that PCV valve as stated above. It's pretty simple. Most common causes for that burning oil smell are valve cover gaskets, turbo return hose. If your comfortable pulling the down pipe that would give you a good visual of that general area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A good flash light will help when under the car looking up at things. Your's does seem to be more up top...

Have you tried to tighten that oil pressure sensor in the picture ? Just give it a little tightening and see if it moves. Don't over tighten it.

Or pull it out and put some teflon pipe tape on the threads, about 3 or 4 wraps of tape and put it back in snugly, don't over tighten it.

i'll try taking out the oil pressure sensor today and see how it goes. can i just wrench it from where it is without taking out anything? i've ordered the pcv valve just in case . is there a special tool i need to take off the hose clamps for the pcv valve?

A deep socket should be able to remove the sensor. Looks like a straight shot.

The PCV clamps should be easy, I don't recall having issue with them. Worst case replace them with common screw type clamps.

got around to changing the pcv valve yesterday and its such a ***** to get to! had trouble getting the intercooler back on and making sure it was tight. but the old pcv valve was on the bottom end. will report back soon after i take it on a test drive

My pcv valve ended up being fine with similar symptoms. It ended up being the pipe that attached it to the block that was cracked and had a hole in it.

I had the exact same thing, but my pcv was also clogged.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

same

whats the diameter for the hose i should buy to clamp it? i just shoved it in for now and don't have a clamp on it...

that's a good question, I'm not sure. I ended up taking it with me to a few shops until I found a place that had fuel/oil hose that big in diameter.

The positive news is the piece is so small they didn't even want to charge me for the piece

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Archived