LegacyGT.com

Is the Infamous oil feed line kit still produced?

I just purchased a 2005 LGT Wagon that is in really good shape but its the original motor and turbo with 128k miles. I plan on doing a lot of prevantative maintenance to help avoid potential failure.

I plan on purchasing and having installed a BNR 16g turbo as well as the infamous oil feed line kit. However several times when I've seen the infamous kit mentioned in various threads on this forum with a link, the link is dead. Searching for the kit on infamous' website also shows no results.

My question is, is this kit even still in production and can it still be purchased?

However I have found another kit by IAG called the IAG oil feed and AVCS line. Does anyone have any reviews or recommendations for this kit if the infamous kit is no longer in production?

The Infamous kit was discontinued awhile back.

In that case, anyone care to discuss the options of the IAG kit? It appears they offer the option to use banjos with or without filters. I would assume no one would want to use the filtered option because it seems the common consensus is the STOCK lines with filters cause turbo failure and its recommended to remove them.

This leads to another question, would a non filtered option IAG kit be necessary or should I just remove the filters from my stock lines?

Just pull the filters from stock lines and use them till they start leaking. If they start leaking get the filterless kit and call it a day.

It's better to have dirty oil then no oil. If your worried about your oil being bad for the turbo, first change the oil more often, second turbo is least of your problems (because the motor is dying too)

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Yeah I had an infamous kit - and my shop wanted no part of it for my rebuild - they've claimed stock lines work fine with no filters....

So back to stock lines for me - plus it's cheaper if you are replacing them.

...it seems the common consensus is the STOCK lines with filters cause turbo failure and its recommended to remove them...

I pulled my banjo filters at around 50K miles and didn't replace them. They were clean except for what looked like a few specs of carbon. Many people had similar experiences. It seems the root cause of the oil starvation problem is really the oil, not the banjo bolt filters.

When the 4th gen cars came out, Subaru seemed to recommend 7500 mile OCI and conventional oil. Some people neglected regular oil changes. These things plus lots of short trips and stop-and-go driving encouraged sludge formation. Sludge blocked the banjo filters and gummed up the AVCS oil control valves. The wrong oil filter causes issues because the bypass pressure is too low. That means when the filter begins to get dirty, it allows oil to bypass the filter so the oil goes unfiltered a lot of the time.

Using good synthetic oil of the right spec, changing oil often (3750 miles) and using the right oil filter prevents problems.

I just pulled my banjo filter for the first time on my 09 with 80k. The filter was completely clean. After looking at the size of the turbo side banjo oil orifice, it makes me a little nervous no longer running a filter. What sounds ideal to me is having a filter to prevent debris from clogging the turbo banjo, then a oil pressure gauge between the filter and turbo to warn when/if the filter gets clogged. This is only my thoughts and have no data to justify.

I pulled my banjo filters at around 50K miles and didn't replace them. They were clean except for what looked like a few specs of carbon. Many people had similar experiences. It seems the root cause of the oil starvation problem is really the oil, not the banjo bolt filters.

Pulled these out of my 05 with ~90k miles, original turbo died at 80k miles. I luckily pulled these out before it killed the second turbo...

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253924&stc=1&d=1502332213

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253929&stc=1&d=1502332213

When the 4th gen cars came out, Subaru seemed to recommend 7500 mile OCI and conventional oil. Some people neglected regular oil changes. These things plus lots of short trips and stop-and-go driving encouraged sludge formation. Sludge blocked the banjo filters and gummed up the AVCS oil control valves. The wrong oil filter causes issues because the bypass pressure is too low. That means when the filter begins to get dirty, it allows oil to bypass the filter so the oil goes unfiltered a lot of the time.

Using good synthetic oil of the right spec, changing oil often (3750 miles) and using the right oil filter prevents problems.

Without banjo filters, it would be pretty hard to sludge up the banjo eyes, since high oil pressure would clean it out pretty frequently. Even on 7.5k dino oil. It was a compounding issue, with filters being the final bullet, without filters it would take a lot longer to sludge up the turbo feed line.

In the end frequent oil changes would prevent the need to remove the banjo bolts, but we don't live in a perfect world where everyone remembers to change their oil often.

I drive 8 miles a day, 4 miles one way on a cold start. My oil needs to be changed WAY before 3k miles if I do nothing then city miles.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

...Without banjo filters, it would be pretty hard to sludge up the banjo eyes, since high oil pressure would clean it out pretty frequently. Even on 7.5k dino oil. It was a compounding issue, with filters being the final bullet, without filters it would take a lot longer to sludge up the turbo feed line.

In the end frequent oil changes would prevent the need to remove the banjo bolts, but we don't live in a perfect world where everyone remembers to change their oil often...

I understand, that's why I removed my banjo bolt filters, even though they seemed clean.

The OP seemed to be interested in preventative measures to get good reliability from his car. There is this tendency for people to blame the filters when the root cause is more complicated than that. For preventive measures good "oil hygiene" is one of the most important.

If you can look in one of the Jeg's or Summit Racing catalog's you'll find everything you need to make up your oil line kit.

Or...I'm still using the stock oil feed line on my 2005, less both banjo filters.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have an IP&T kit for sale. Just sayin :lol:

Thanks but I pulled the filters and will probably just go with that. However, unrelated but, your signature says the bulletproof kit is in stock but the website to order from states they are not in stock? Are you still making these? I'd love to buy the kit.

• Moderators
Thanks but I pulled the filters and will probably just go with that. However, unrelated but, your signature says the bulletproof kit is in stock but the website to order from states they are not in stock? Are you still making these? I'd love to buy the kit.

Currently making more, ETA about a month.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I discontinued the oil line kits early last year (if memory serves me).

Remove the banjo filter and use the OEM pipe if concerned.

If you need more volume of oil for a specific aftermarket turbo then you might want to look into another set up.

Archived