LegacyGT.com

WTF moment on Moog swaybar endlinks

thejazzcat

So I went to go do my front swaybar endlinks on my 05 LGT using the Moog i.e. Replacement kit. I was putting them on and I noticed that Moog's part is the same for both the left and the right. As a result the grease fitting on the lower drivers side is crushed/pinned against the frame, blocking the grease fitting as well as putting unnatural pressure/ twisting on the upper part of the link...

What gives? Based on the design I would think there would be a different part for each side, not one endlink design for both sides.

Am I somehow missing something here? Should I abandon the moogs and get a different aftermarket brand? They are nice and beefy which is why I chose them but it seems the engineering is flawed.

Thoughts? First time ever doing endlinks so be gentle if this is an ID10T error. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does that mean then that one endlink sits on the inside of the joint (towards the center of the car/swaybar) and one on the outside (towards the wheel side)? The end links have the two grease fittings on opposing sides, so a vertical flip would result in the same problem. Flipping them to a one inside one outside configuration is the only way to rectify the problem...

I am going to check the part number, I wonder if advance had the wrong one listed and this link is for a different car... wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

I cross checked the part number and it appears right... however I dug deep in to the thread posted several years ago by ClimberD, and it looks like moog screwed up. The part I got was the old design - which by engineering failure did not actually fit the Legacy GT. There is a new version that does have compatibility out for sale, Advance just had the old style part still on their shelves.

Question answered then. Guess I didn't look hard enough for the answer. [emoji58]

Many have cited that old thread and thought they had a defective part. After some fiddling around they soon figured it out. I'm not actually convinced the part was ever faulty.

One grease nipple faces in and one faces out, I believe. If you do it wrong, the nipple hits the control arm. Just twist each side by 180 degrees on its ball joint (or something like that). I have an extra set in my garage, and both of my cars have sets installed. I can look tomorrow.

Can you take a pic of both end links and post it on here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Many have cited that old thread and thought they had a defective part. After some fiddling around they soon figured it out. I'm not actually convinced the part was ever faulty.

One grease nipple faces in and one faces out, I believe. If you do it wrong, the nipple hits the control arm. Just twist each side by 180 degrees on its ball joint (or something like that). I have an extra set in my garage, and both of my cars have sets installed. I can look tomorrow.

Can you take a pic of both end links and post it on here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

And that might be the crux of the issue with the "old" part (still assuming it exists)... the endlinks I got do not twist around 180 degrees, they are a solid bar fixed to the link housings. I thought about calling moog to verify, but others on that same thread claim to have called moog at the time and got confirmation that there was a bad design floating around still. Even more interesting, one person also claims to have purchased the endlinks from two different places (Advance and Amazon) and got two different designs. I am pretty good spatially, and there simply wasn't any possible way to install the part that I had.

I can go back to advance and grab a pic - unfortunately I returned the endlinks shortly after my original post to see if they had a different part. However, this is what the link looked like this. Note that the center bar is fixed, and does not allow a twist to reverse the orientation:

moog-k750049-large-2.jpg

So I went to go do my front swaybar endlinks on my 05 LGT using the Moog i.e. Replacement kit. I was putting them on and I noticed that Moog's part is the same for both the left and the right. As a result the grease fitting on the lower drivers side is crushed/pinned against the frame, blocking the grease fitting as well as putting unnatural pressure/ twisting on the upper part of the link...

You had the right part and the more recent design, a lot of people make the same mistake. Flipping the part around does not result in the same exact orientation. In one way, the bottom zerk fitting will face backward, in the other way, the bottom zerk fitting will face forward. The latter way should not cause interference.

As long as the zerk fittings are on opposite sides of the endlink, then they fit. You may have to rotate them per my picture below. If the zerk hits the control arm, just rotate it and then it will be oriented not to hit any more. I think you can visualize how this works from looking at this picture.

This design let's a single endlink design work for either side of the car.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=254112&stc=1&d=1502709265

moog.thumb.jpg.e98486ad5d8c1a7236e3f41ef509dd4f.jpg

As long as the zerk fittings are on opposite sides of the endlink, then they fit. You may have to rotate them per my picture below. If the zerk hits the control arm, just rotate it and then it will be oriented not to hit any more. I think you can visualize how this works from looking at this picture.

This design let's a single endlink design work for either side of the car.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=254112&stc=1&d=1502709265

Damn, thanks so much for that photo! I am dumb and you are l33t, I am not worthy!! [emoji144] [emoji144] [emoji144]

I totally get it now... I can't believe I didn't see that before. :( My ego is a bit bruised but I shall be okay, being a LGT owner is an instant +10 to self-esteem :p

• 2 weeks later...

Archived