LegacyGT.com

Takata Airbag Recall Class Action?

Just got a mailer in today that claims that my 2016 Legacy could be a "Subject Vehicle" in the Takata recall. Going to their website and typing in the VIN labels it as a potential subject vehicle, but when going to register for the settlement, it asks three questions - whether you purchased your car before July of 2017, and if you still *own* said car as of July 2017. It then asks if you've been formally informed of your car being recalled, and if you've had your airbag replaced.

Obviously I had to answer 'no' to that, and it says I can't file a claim yet because that hasn't happened - and to advise me that my car may be recalled *soon* if it hasn't been already. I'm right at 15,000 miles and bringing my car in for an oil change and interim check and according to my dealership, there are no active recalls on Subarus, and none on my car.

The website on the card (already Googled it to ensure there wasn't a scam alert on it), but the only information it asks for initially is your VIN, and if you haven't had your car recalled, it keeps you from entering in more information. And VIN numbers aren't exactly a window into identity theft, either.

The website is www.autoairbagsettlement.com

I got the same card in the mail for my 2013 Legacy. I also put in my VIN on their website and it said my car is eligible...

But I have no open recalls and I've studied the big Takata recall over the past couple years, and this was for older cars. In fact, my wife 2010 CRV had the Takata recall last year.

So I really don't know what to make of this class action lawsuit that potentially includes my car, that didn't have a recall....

Any ideas from anyone?

I would not worry as this was for 2005 - 2008 Legacy's only. Not sure why the class action suit file is inclusive of vehicles past 2008 but if there was an issue we'd have received a recall notice and we have not. If you have a gen 6 Legacy, I wouldn't sweat it as this does not affect 2015+ vehicles.

This is not fake news but close. It doesn't mean anything, we do not have the recalled airbags. If you try to jump through all the hoops to be in the class action suit, you will notice that you do not qualify. Now y'all can go back to drinking a beer.[emoji41]

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

This is not fake news but close. It doesn't mean anything, we do not have the recalled airbags. If you try to jump through all the hoops to be in the class action suit, you will notice that you do not qualify. Now y'all can go back to drinking a beer.[emoji41]

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

and also, lawyers get paid to lawyer, they got paid to generate a huge mailing to potential "class members", they want to get everyone to sign onto the class action lawsuit, because affected owners of those cars will get something (like $10) while the lawyers who are behind this class action lawsuit will get something (like 10 million dollars).

Not that I mind class action lawsuits, they do force manufacturers to improve safety, not ignore potential liability risk (cost of a few failures and deaths for drivers could otherwise be viewed as worth it not to fix a faulty airbag in all cars) and they probably mean 6th gen owners got better airbags that won't put shrapnel in our faces.

PS: I got the same postcard, I have a 2017 Legacy, it was not part of the covered class as stated on the postcard, so I tossed the postcard. I know that if there is a safety recall, Subaru has my address and they will contact me, I had to bring my 2015 WRX in a couple of times for TSB repairs/updates. So far nothing for my 2017 Legacy.

I did receive a recall notice from Subaru on my 2015 Legacy Passenger Side Airbag. I stopped by my dealer to ask how long the process takes and he told me pretty much all day and there's a waiting list until November.. [emoji30][emoji30]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Takata will be bankrupt and out of business by the time this class action is filed.

The dirty little secret is that there is no possible way all the cars on the 'list' are ever going to get the recall fix done. There are neither enough air bag units to go around or $$$ to pay for it.

There is just going to be a generation or two of cars that go through their service lives on the 'list'.

I received the card in the mail and signed up in less than 5 minutes. I'll take $20 over nothing. The hassle of leaving the car there, having them ruin my dash, getting that voluntary recall fixed and the hassle of that fiasco, was worth 5 minutes.

I did receive a recall notice from Subaru on my 2015 Legacy Passenger Side Airbag. I stopped by my dealer to ask how long the process takes and he told me pretty much all day and there's a waiting list until November.. [emoji30][emoji30]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Did you get recall notice from Subaru?

Good to know, since I just got a message back from them asking for my address (and prior addresses) before they'll talk to me further. Typing in my VIN is one thing, but when someone's asking for my address and *former* addresses, *that* starts to smell like identity theft.

I would not worry as this was for 2005 - 2008 Legacy's only. Not sure why the class action suit file is inclusive of vehicles past 2008 but if there was an issue we'd have received a recall notice and we have not. If you have a gen 6 Legacy, I wouldn't sweat it as this does not affect 2015+ vehicles.

This is incorrect. My 09 is affected. To be sure you need to run your vin.

Funny enough I just got a Takata airbag letter in the mail today. I looked up my vin last week and it said I wasn't effected but then I get this letter....

'15's are not affected, you likely got the class action mailer that was sent by a law firm to every Subaru owner.

Subaru's official statement is HERE

Archived