LegacyGT.com

Mechanical or tire noise

As gimpydingo stated, does the noise increase/decrease at different speeds? If it is a wheel bearing, go to an empty parking lot and do some figure 8's, sometimes putting some load on the wheel bearings can make them squeal telling you that's it. Sometime this works, not always. But to truly test it, is to pull it off and spin it by hand, you will easily know then.

But the sound of the hum does sound like a wheel bearing starting to wear out.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Does your wagon have a Yakima rack on top (or similar)? If there is, and you don't have a fairing, it could simply be wind noise from the crossbars. Believe me, even at 20mph, it can sound a great deal like a bad wheel bearing from the inside.

Just an alternative idea.

j.

I just replaced wheel bearings a few months ago. I remember that gravelly sound distinctly and it didn't sound like that. This sound seems to be at a very even frequency. I agree with The Yeti71, it could be a roof rack, especially if the crossbars are circular instead of aerobars. Another thing I was thinking... could this be a loose plastic undertray?

If not the tires, the loud hum sounds like wheel bearing to me. When mine went I mistakenly thought it was tires, especially since I didn't hear any squeaking like I was used to from older cars.

Joel

Same happened to me I thought they were tires since they were the runflat kind.. until my wheel bearing went doing 70.. the rear end just kind of dropped and I started having oscillations in the rear.. funny thing was I jacked up the side with the bad bearing and I still could not get it to move unless I had a load on it and with my action cam I saw the whole wheel move while driving I ended up ordering two but changed only the rear passenger side.

That bearing must have been real shot, that sounded like you were driving on the highway's rumble strips.

Did it happen overnight or progressively? I'm familiar with humming bearings, 3 out of 4 of my bearings went out with a hum. The 4th one is not humming but there is a click from that wheel everytime I start and stop, so wondering if will just show up dead overnight too haha.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

That bearing must have been real shot, that sounded like you were driving on the highway's rumble strips.

Did it happen overnight or progressively? I'm familiar with humming bearings, 3 out of 4 of my bearings went out with a hum. The 4th one is not humming but there is a click from that wheel everytime I start and stop, so wondering if will just show up dead overnight too haha.

Start/stop clicks usually mean CV joint, may want to do some circle 8's in a parking lot to determine.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Start/stop clicks usually mean CV joint, may want to do some circle 8's in a parking lot to determine.

No clicking in turns, I figured it was my brake pad related but couldn't find anything. Now that you mention it though, I did replace an axle with this one with unknown miles/history...

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 weeks later...

Archived