LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Manifold Gasket Issues

EDIT: I will be ordering these and trying to flatten the surface more:

http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed-exhaust-manifold-to-crosspipe-gasket-pair-2x-thick-subaru/

http://www.grimmspeed.com/grimmspeed-exhaust-manifold-to-up-pipe-gasket-2x-thick-subaru/

Added pics of my exhaust manifold.

So close to getting everything wrapped up with this car. 07 LGT.

Ever since I installed my DP and replaced the gaskets for the DP, UP, and exhaust manifold, I am getting leaks. Unfortunately the UP to exhaust mani gasket and the crossover (I guess that's what it's called) from the passenger mani to the driver side (near the UP to mani gasket) is leaking as well. My exhaust manifold has rust and some light pitting around where the gasket ring sits, which is probably the main culprit.

In process of a tune (isn't that always the way) and noticed a bit of lag and my numbers out of whack. I've seen black streaks on the gaskets and today did the soapy water and start the engine trick and yep leaky leaky.

I see grimmspeed has 2x thicker gaskets. Any other suggestions or suggestions on how to put everything back together; which order to tighten the various bolts. Should I leave the UP untightened until the end, etc...

IMG_9545.jpg.170bb0d4c217a0b085dead2d93c791eb.jpg

EM_1.thumb.jpg.4f4adbb39119ef289322e3bf555264d7.jpg

EM_2.thumb.jpg.95ae93d7423dc8ff8c3aa6763245bc74.jpg

I can tell you what worked well for me.

- removed all the fasteners using Kroil penetrating oil. This more or less dissolved surface rust on the fasteners and mating surfaces.

- removed the entire assembly containing the two header sections and the pipe connecting them as a unit.

- cleaned up the mating surface of each flange with a medium grit sanding sponge.

- used the OEM multi-layer steel gaskets.

- loosely assembled everything and tightened it down starting from the turbo, through the uppipe, to the header assembly.

- Lastly, tightened the header assembly to the block.

Use the torque values specified in the factory service manual. The fasteners are actually not that tight. You don't have to crank down too much, let the gaskets do the sealing.

Besides the Grimmspeed gaskets, that work great. I've took an OEM gasket and pried up each of the inner layers with a flathead screwdriver, making it expand. After tightening it down the gasket compressed really good and created a nice seal. I've done this with using 2 OEM gaskets as well and it worked out too.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Besides the Grimmspeed gaskets, that work great. I've took an OEM gasket and pried up each of the inner layers with a flathead screwdriver, making it expand. After tightening it down the gasket compressed really good and created a nice seal. I've done this with using 2 OEM gaskets as well and it worked out too.

I just saw that on one of your other posts and was about to try it! Thanks! Always so much help here it's great.

Sanding off the rust is a must in order for the gaskets to make a good seal. You may want to try what JMP swears by, and that's spraying both sides of the gaskets a few times with "Copper Spray-a-Gasket". I haven't tried it, but he believes that it helps to make better contact when matting the gasket to the pipe.
My wife's balls are delicious.

I tried the copper RTV at one point, that was just a melty mess. It's about the same temp range as the spray if not a bit higher. LOL

Edit: And yes I did let it fully cure before installing the gaskets again.

That's not how Copper RTV works. You coat it, install it and torque. I give it as much time as i have (5 min- overnight) and then fire it up.

Look up the tightening procedure for the manifolds and up pipe. There is a way to do it correctly, it works ;)

That's not how Copper RTV works. You coat it, install it and torque. I give it as much time as i have (5 min- overnight) and then fire it up.

Look up the tightening procedure for the manifolds and up pipe. There is a way to do it correctly, it works ;)

Hmmm, well it said to let it set for 2 hours or overnight, which I went overnight and it just melted and caused and exhaust leak. And I meant before fully torquing them down, not installing the gaskets, I finger tightened when installed.

I've redone these gaskets quite a few times, following instructions, DIY on forums, etc... and they have yet to fully seal. So screw it, 2x thicks coming.

Scrubbed everything down with vinegar, wire brush, and sand paper, got almost all the rust off. Everything back together with the Grimm 2x thick gaskets, no leaks! Car is fixed. Now to finish my tune! Thanks for the suggestions.

Archived