LegacyGT.com

Up pipes

Im in the market for a new up pipe I've looked at several different brands and the one i keep going back to look at is a invida it has the egt bung and im seeing others dont. Any info that can help me make a decision would be much appreciated.

Most up pipes are going to be roughly the same. They're quite literally just a pipe from the collectors to the turbo.

The 05 has an EGT sensor, so if you want to keep it and not use a defeat device (2.2kohm resistor, iirc) you should get one with a bung.

As for a decision. STI take-offs (and I believe LGT 07+, and WRX 08-14 pipes) are both OEM and compatible, and lack the cat that munches our turbos.

Any auto parts store will have a bolt and washer that will plug the egt bung.

Invidia is a good product.

Are you doing the down pipe too ? Need a tune for that.

While your there, replace the oil return hose from the turbo, check the turbo for shaft play, remove the banjo filter.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Any auto parts store will have a bolt and washer that will plug the egt bung.

Invidia is a good product.

Are you doing the down pipe too ? Need a tune for that.

While your there, replace the oil return hose from the turbo, check the turbo for shaft play, remove the banjo filter.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Not doing down pipe just yet but will be digging into the oil lines and checking shaft play im not sure what has been done with the turbo but judging by the wrench marks on all the bolts someone has been in there at some point

banjo filter? is this on the turbo side, or the block side? I've seen this term around the forums but still a bit confused as to what/where it actually is.

I'm with you Bob, in the market for a new UP, possibly DP/tune. I've really been looking at the ceramic coated grimmspeed. heard some really good things about while reading these forums.

Banjo bolt walkthrough is here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-62371.html

You won't need the EGT sensor if you don't have the cat anymore. It's only purpose is to monitor the health of that cat. If your new uppipe has a bung there, just plug it with the correct size bolt. If you get rid of the EGT sensor, that's one less thing to go wrong. Resister mod is inexpensive and easy to do.

IMHO, save the money you would have spent on some fancy uppipe and put it where it will give you better payoff, like a quality downpipe. Using an OEM catless uppipe from '07+ LGT or compatible STI is inexpensive ($50-75) and works well. The OEM catless uppipe has heat shields and a flex section, which are the most important features that you actually need.

Note you will need fresh gaskets for all connections that you take apart. Use the OEM or Grimmspeed multi-layer steel gaskets, otherwise you risk exhaust leaks which means doing the job over again.

I have an Invidia, thumbs down. Finding the right bolt to plug that stupid bung, which doesn't even have the right thread pitch for the EGT sensor, was a big pain. Plus it has a flange leak. I've acquired an OEM UP, haven't gotten around to installing it. Used an OEM UP on my last 05GT, was fully happy.

Ditto on OEM uppipe from 07+ LGT or STI. I installed OEM STI uppipe 130K ago and had zero problems with it. Didn't even do the resistor mod, the sensor is simply tucked to harness with zip tie all these years.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

banjo filter? is this on the turbo side, or the block side? I've seen this term around the forums but still a bit confused as to what/where it actually is.

I'm with you Bob, in the market for a new UP, possibly DP/tune. I've really been looking at the ceramic coated grimmspeed. heard some really good things about while reading these forums.

Your in a great area, check out Dave at http://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

he's one of the best. Tell him we sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

yeah, I sent Dave an email a few days ago and posted on his thread in the tuning forum. still waiting for a response. I'm excited to have him tune my car. I've heard nothing but the best things about him since reading these forums. cant wait!

sidenote: still searching these forums regularly in search of an OEM catless UP!

yeah, I sent Dave an email a few days ago and posted on his thread in the tuning forum. still waiting for a response. I'm excited to have him tune my car. I've heard nothing but the best things about him since reading these forums. cant wait!

sidenote: still searching these forums regularly in search of an OEM catless UP!

Go look on NASIOC. You'll find one there pretty quickly

noted. thanks for the tip.

also, this forum rocks. I'm a member of a lot of car forums -- have been for over a decade. Among the 2 dozen or so that I'm a part of, this forum is leaps and bounds the friendliest. the content is amazing and the debate is actually productive. the only comparable forum I've seen is mr2oc.com which has similar content, but the people are hit or miss. used to be a tight-nit community and now there are too many kids and too much bickering. all of you get a huge thumbs up from me! well done.

Ha. You just caught the curmudgeons on a quiet day. Stick around, they're a nest of vipers when they're on the rag.

Yea, wait until one of us old trolls does get our morning coffee. Not that I've ever been accused of that...well not more than a couple of times...;)

Archived