LegacyGT.com

So what's it worth now?

I bought my 2006 LGT wagon from this guy http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-oh-2006-legacy-gt-ltd-wagon-214526.html two and a half years ago. I went back to stock from the wheels and coil-overs, and replaced the turbo with a BMR 16g and Cyrotuned it. It had a dealer installed timing belt about 6 months ago and currently has 214,000 miles on it.

Last week I got rear-ended by a Chevy. She had to be towed, but I am still driving the LGT. It needs a little work though. I don't know if I want to fix it or not. So what's it worth now?

001_Small.JPG.0ad25886e2cc1f9afc9f5482e0639b15.JPG

002_Small.JPG.5f879eb1f88c566b55f0f1bfa5f47c74.JPG

One good thing is that if it didn't affect the crash bar, a junk yard or CL will be a good place to grab a new hatch and bumper for cheap. Neither should be hard to replace in the driveway if you're good enough to swap out suspension bits. Check your mileage, old post 160k yours said 114k...guessing you mean to type 214...

Yes, it does have 214k on it, I typed. And the Chevy driver's insurance has contacted me. The body shop gave me an estimate of $5100 to fix it and I just don't think the car is worth that much.

I think it could be worth $5,100 (assuming no accident damage). Here in Colorado these things hold their value fairly well. $5,100 is not out of line for a vehicle with that mileage (assuming it's in good condition otherwise). Ultimately it may be out of your hands if the insurance company decides to total it.

I'm guessing it may be totaled if that's what they are quoting for repairs. Insurance companies will typically only repair up to a certain percentage of the value of the car. Say the car is worth $5000, they may repair damage up to $4000.

It's up to you on this, but if they do total it, you could repair it? Find some used parts and unbolt/rebolt if that's all it is? This is assuming there is no frame damage.

Is that some rust I see on the rear wheel wells? Maybe you could take the money and find another lower mileage car and pull the turbo and tune off of yours?

I'm guessing it may be totaled if that's what they are quoting for repairs. Insurance companies will typically only repair up to a certain percentage of the value of the car. Say the car is worth $5000, they may repair damage up to $4000.

This is the unknown. What is the insurance companies threshold. I've heard 80% (which is inline with your example).

It's up to you on this, but if they do total it, you could repair it? Find some used parts and unbolt/rebolt if that's all it is? This is assuming there is no frame damage.

Is that some rust I see on the rear wheel wells? Maybe you could take the money and find another lower mileage car and pull the turbo and tune off of yours?

If they total the vehicle they'll take the car, he won't be permitted to keep the car and receive money. He could offer to buy it back as a salvage if the insurance company is willing to do that.

If he doesn't it's unlikely he will be permitted to pull most things off the car...they'll be considered part of the car. Thus if he has a tune he wants to keep then he should remove it immediately. Unfortunately he cannot do so with the turbo (unless he has an alternative to put in its place).

If they total the vehicle they'll take the car, he won't be permitted to keep the car and receive money. He could offer to buy it back as a salvage if the insurance company is willing to do that.

If he doesn't it's unlikely he will be permitted to pull most things off the car...they'll be considered part of the car. Thus if he has a tune he wants to keep then he should remove it immediately. Unfortunately he cannot do so with the turbo (unless he has an alternative to put in its place).

Buy back is what I was thinking, depending on the price and attachment to the car.

Some insurance companies don't care what parts you take off a totaled car(within reason). It never hurts to ask. However, if the insurance company finds out he put a different turbo than stock on it, it could raise some red flags (depending on insurance provider). State Farm wouldn't touch my car with a 10 foot pole after they found out it was modified. Since the OP is still driving the car, he could find a cheap VF40 and install it and remove the tune prior to turn in.

Buy back is what I was thinking, depending on the price and attachment to the car.

Some insurance companies don't care what parts you take off a totaled car(within reason). It never hurts to ask.

I agree with this 100%...in just about any situation.

However, if the insurance company finds out he put a different turbo than stock on it, it could raise some red flags (depending on insurance provider). State Farm wouldn't touch my car with a 10 foot pole after they found out it was modified. Since the OP is still driving the car, he could find a cheap VF40 and install it and remove the tune prior to turn in.

Until the insurance company totals the car it's his to do with as he pleases. If he wants to put on a different turbo that's his right. If he wants to take off his fancy aftermarket wheels (assuming he has them) and put on crappy steel wheels with bald tires, that's his right. The insurance company can make adjustments by offering less for the car (as it would be worth less).

If you have insurance get their bid for totaling it also. It can differ from the at fault party's insurance. They won't raise your rates but instead collect (subrogate) on your behalf and pay you.

Turns out the original estimate included an AVO cat back exhaust. The insurance adjuster claims exhaust is a wear item and he'll only pay half on the exhaust, which I think is reasonable as the OEM mid-pipe has rusted and been repaired previously.

I did toy with the thought of getting a new car, but I haven't found anything I like as much as my wagon. The body shop is busy; they scheduled me for Sept. 5.

This is were you have your own insurance company do a repair right up as well as the body shop. If you just let the person that rear ended you do it there insurance company is going to screw you, your insurance company is there to cover your A$$ as well as fight to get you your money and car back the way you had it if the other driver was completely at fault. In my state a rear end is always the car that slammed into the other ones fault regardless of the situation unless a 3rd party can state other wise.

That being said, $5,100 bucks is not all that bad, I would have them check your breaks tho as you did use them to stop another car beyond your cars weight and tow ratting... its worth at least rotors and pads...., as well as check alignment ect make sure the car didn't dog leg on you.

Been rear ended twice to texting drivers... I got my car repaired both times and both times got a new set of breaks and this last time I got a new clutch. Not trying to tell ya what to do, but they did damage your baby, be nice to hit them were it counts and get ya car repaired the right way!

8 year auto adjuster here.

Is $5,100 just surface damage or do they have your car torn down yet? Colorado total loss threshold is actually 100%, meaning that the cost of the repair must exceed the actual cash value of the vehicle. NADA.com has a wagon with your mileage valued at about $7,700, and I'd argue it's worth at least that since you have some pretty recent work done to it. Insurers typically average NADA with similar local cars to come up with a total loss value. I'd say have them repair it and enjoy it.

Go get checked out by urgent care if you're sore at all. They'll probably throw some "go away" money at you to resolve an injury claim before it starts.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Find a tailgate, a bumper cover, and fix it yourself AFTER they pay you. You'll be able to get it pretty damn close to perfect and if you need to spend half of the money at the body shop, get the rust fixed and enjoy it. I'm sure it drives fine and that's 95% of the battle.

Archived