LegacyGT.com

BCP X500+ 10cm (60lb) Vs. X500 8cm (54lb) Dyno comparison!

Just wanted to update this thread for future searches. The correct rated oem radiator caps dropped my max temps to 214 under heavy load (extended) It's probably the thermostat or cheap a$$ radiator now. Car never overheated, just ran hotter under heavy load.

Car is still running great, clutch is still protesting the abuse (wrx stage 1 hd w/act fw) but holding. Granted I dont launch the car...

Was recommended to use a crawford can, but from what I remember unless I have a lot of blowby, it's not really a concern.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update: higher than normal coolant temps under load were due to no bottom cover installed.. lol. Car runs great, running 8 oz torco accelerator per tank just as a safety net. ( about 1 number so ~94) Getting ready to test fit a crawford V3 AOS, they arent sure about hood clearance, so i will be doing a writeup. My tuner recommended doing it as a preventative measure. The V3 is the best yet, no coolant lines and it actually has 2 separated chambers in the can.

The GS. when I do pulls for etuning, I'd pull over, wait for a big gap in traffic, then get going. Short shift first, then second, = not enough time for the temps to drop before I did the 3rd gear pull. I had to alter my technique. A couple people have modified the plastic cover, notably the parts that go up the sides near the filter area, to fit the skid plate. Kind of like around it. Rhitter for example.

According to those in the know, the stock bolts can cause the heads to lift off the shortblock at higher boost leading to head gasket failure. Hence the recommendation for ARP or other reinforced head studs vs stock head bolts. I ran 20psi on a VF52 at 300whp for 20k miles though so :iam::iam:

I've been hitting 20+ psi on my 16 for 70k miles.. Recent leakdown (at 130k) was 7/5/7/5 (%). Seems like no headgasket issues.

Mind you, I may just be lucky..

• 8 months later...

Just got back from driving it! With summer coming I wanted to make sure my temp creeping issue was not an engine issue. I replaced the Radiator with a KoyoRad V-series race. Temps are around 185-190 and no more than 205 WOT. Still running great! 21lbs and pulls strong. I usually add 2-4ozs of Torco to each full tank (.4-1so strong 93) just for safety. Haven't touched anything. I have an exhaust leak I need to pin down, seems like the manifolds or crossover. No shaft play, still sounds great and pulls hard.

How have you been? I just had a baby!

Just got back from driving it! With summer coming I wanted to make sure my temp creeping issue was not an engine issue. I replaced the Radiator with a KoyoRad V-series race. Temps are around 185-190 and no more than 205 WOT. Still running great! 21lbs and pulls strong. I usually add 2-4ozs of Torco to each full tank (.4-1so strong 93) just for safety. Haven't touched anything. I have an exhaust leak I need to pin down, seems like the manifolds or crossover. No shaft play, still sounds great and pulls hard.

How have you been? I just had a baby!

Congrats on the baby! Glad to hear the car is running great. I am curious now if I should consider replacing my OEM radiator. Were you having issues while cruising or while on full throttle? The highest reading I've seen is 99* Celsius (210F), granted it was 100 degrees outside and temperature drops down quickly once I get moving. That was before I covered the hood scoop as well, now I don't see any temperatures over 201F.

I also got my hands on a 1.5 XT-R (10CM) and ETS FMIC required piping to run the STI Style turbo. I'm debating just staying as is now though, since my funds took a hit in order to get a Stoptech front and rear bbk and an Infamous Stromung exhaust. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks! Just cruising was closer to 205-208 if it was hot outside. My issue was at wot, at full boost making too much heat(205-221) It was good over the winter, that's why I threw the radiator in. ( Never over 205, still need to get an undertray though lmao) That 1.5xtr 10cm is the turbo I was originally going to get. It will run!

Currently looking at elh and a retune, was hoping Cobb would release the full flex fuel and tuning for the 08-09, I guess not yet..

Archived