LegacyGT.com

BCP X500+ 10cm (60lb) Vs. X500 8cm (54lb) Dyno comparison!

Am I the only one who thinks you got a bunch of people to pay for your second tune after buying a turbo no one suggested you get?

I am actually curious what the results are for both turbos (which is why I helped pay for it). A lot of times I see the larger turbos "listed" as better matches to the 2.5 engines. Usually that comes with a trade off that I personally don't wouldn't like.

With the hype these turbos get on Nasioc it will be nice to see the x500+ 10cm versus x500 8cm. It's rare we get to see a comparison of same dyno, same car, same tuner. The last one we saw was the 10 turbo shoot-out I think PIA did and the DOM1.5 won that one.

Plus, we are all consenting adults (I think) so who cares if we agreed to pay for his second tune.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im excited to see these results as well. I almost pulled the trigger on the x500 8cm but glad maverick got it and will be able to do a comparison on same car. This will definitely help other owners decide on a turbo when upgrading. I bet this turbo will have a nice linear band from 3800rpm to redline...that would be my ideal powerband [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Is tuning still next Friday?

Yes sir! 8/11 @ 9:30 am. I'll be on here a lot in case there are any questions etc.

Turbo is arriving on 8/7 so a little crunch to get it done. I'm off half day Thursday so worst case I can finish it Thursday.

Turbo swap should take about an hour? Thats how long it took me when installing mine and a few wrxs i worked on. Wish i was there to lend a hand.

and @chefo.soriano

Yes sir...lol...

If the 8cm doesnt make you happy...ill email bcp and take it off your guys hands and tune it here in vegas with my setup haha

and @chefo.soriano

I am still considering the 8cm myself. With my new built block i'm worried the turbo i had already bought (for the old short block) won't be enough.

With a built block the x500+ would be ideal. I rev to 7k, 7500+ should be no issue with a balanced bottom end.

Unless you just dont want the power? ;)

Man I do mostly city driving living in Louisville and I need to have a very quick spooling turbo to get the most out of it.

Actually considered going twinscroll but the parts are pretty limited compared to single.

I'm putting on a p&p BNR 16g with a custom billet wheel from JMP. Really hoping I get around 375whp with e85.

If not....I'm turbo shopping again.

I have to say. Looking at that graph, I am not impressed by that first 500+ at all. Makes less power and torque than a 20g XT-R at a way later spool. My Dom made a smidge less power and more torque running 4lbs less boost on a Mustang dyno. At 20 psi it spools 1k sooner and makes 30 more hp and like 45lbs more torque. That graph of yours wouldn't be fun on the street at all. It'd be like Wait for it.... wait for it.... omg spool for 2krpm and shift. Hoping for much better out of the 8cm.

Because i have a stock block with high mileage we took it easy. On the street its full boost around 4400. Because I dont have a built block, i cant run 26 psi. You are also comparing a ~47lb dual bb turbo to a 60lb journal. At 21 psi its barely into the efficient area. This turbo can make big power, its more comparable to a dom 3.5..

It is fun on the street. Are you racing or flooring it all the time? Maybe 20 years ago lol. If we run from a roll, your graph isnt going to mean much..

So you bought a huge super inefficient turbo for an old ass high mileage 2.5 motor. Vs the much faster spooling correct size for block and power goals turbo. Sweet. My wagon would whip up pretty good on your car on the street. Open test and tune days here at the local track. Would be happy to prove it.

Like I said I'll expect much better from the smaller 8CM.

Are we "taking it easy" work the 8cm too?

Or we going balls out?

I'd be prepared to ask BCP if I could keep the 8cm.....just in case.

Either way it seems like BCP is a stand up company committed to customer satisfaction.

What other company will loan you a turbo for testing?

I love how when people go outside the box to bring data to this forum, everybody gets butt hurt and wants to justify the 1700 dollar bb turbo that probably wont outspool the standard x500. Obviously I'm looking to build the engine and go for higher power. That's my goal, i dont need to buy 6 turbos... If you autoX then great! I can see the extra 600 rpm spool benefiting. If we are both in boost, there is only air flow.

Well lets see. I have driven numerous 9 and 10 sec cars from almost every manufacturer. I have never heard the word lag used so frequently.. multiple 2.0 big turbo builds. Who else has the nuts to run 150+k mile engine on the dyno numerous times and make big power.. ;)

Are we "taking it easy" work the 8cm too?

Or we going balls out?

I'd be prepared to ask BCP if I could keep the 8cm.....just in case.

Either way it seems like BCP is a stand up company committed to customer satisfaction.

What other company will loan you a turbo for testing?

I am trying to keep it as similar as possible. Timing should be almost exactly the same. Boost will be 21 psi also. If the tune is more aggressive, then the comparison will be skewed. I still had to pay for shipping ($60 both ways) BCP are great guys. I've spent quite a bit of time talking and setting all of this up. I hope it does help someone, I am satisfied with my turbo, I've said that numerous times..

I'm not butt hurt. Just pointing to the facts. Cool story bro.

Wasn't specifically talking about you, i wish some of you were closer. Would be a lot of fun :). I knew the turbo was large for my application (high mileage etc) I've played the "musical turbos" game lol. I went through 4 turbos on my 4g63 :lol: So i wanted to try more cfm at same boost (21psi)

17 PSI. Mustang Dyno on a stock bottom end with a safe tune for comparison sake. I get full torque nearly 600-800rpm sooner and much more room under the curve, much less boost. Over 18 psi on stock head studs is a recipe for disaster.

23654897454_8010260d0d_c.jpg

According to those in the know, the stock bolts can cause the heads to lift off the shortblock at higher boost leading to head gasket failure. Hence the recommendation for ARP or other reinforced head studs vs stock head bolts. I ran 20psi on a VF52 at 300whp for 20k miles though so :iam::iam:

No ones butt hurt. Your original post was deciding between the dom 1.5 and 20gxtr and you were basing your decision off of quicker spool. Then you bought a 49lb turbo, cancelled it because blouch is gonna blouch. Then you went up to 60lb turbo because they said it was going to be the same. It wasnt. You said you were happy and then the next day decide to try the smaller one out too.

Im excited to see the results. Im totally interested in what what the 500 8cm will do, but based on my multiple turbo builds and the experience of others the 500+ 10cm i think is going to taste bad once you try tye 54lb turbo. Especially if you are running less boost in the 20 psi range.

Ive seen a number of users be dissapointed because they went too big and never hit boost around town.

Its more unusual for you to be happy with the results and also take on the hardship of another day off work and other peoples funds to retune the car just for data on turbos that are 6lbs and 2cm apart. Thats why I stated what I did.

Archived