LegacyGT.com

Center differential interchangeability

Hey guys I have a '99 30th anniversary legacy Brighton 5MT. My center differential has been jumpy ever since I got the car but the differential bearing has died recently. I was just going to replace the bearing since the car is just a work vehicle and the center differentials are $$$.

I remember browsing a billion threads when I first got the car about the center differential and I think I read that the center differentials were all the same since they're a sealed unit and the autos use gear fluid in the diffs. I am looking around and can't really seem to find any specific information. I could be looking in the wrong places but I figured maybe someone knows better than me where to find the information. I apologize if it's right in my face and I'm just looking past it, I have been searching.

So I found an '04 automatic outback (non H6) transmission that a guy is gonna sell me for a hundred or so. And I figure if it works then I kill two birds with one stone. I just want to make sure it would be worth it to grab the tranny and be able to use the center diff from that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of what you need to know is in the transmission section stickies or the top section has a lot of transmission faqs in the stickies,

They will have lists of different cars that have matching final drives you can find a donar from

Center diff not rear diff. I checked that section first.

Both still need to match. your center diff and rear diff need to have the same final drives.

are you talking about the piece in the transmission in the picture or the piece lying on the ground in the picture?

P_20160518_125217.thumb.jpg.460bc8a765a2a3e60489cda84f2ab2de.jpg

If that's the back section of the transmission it's the piece inside. The center diff just distributes power to both front and back final drives. I'm pretty sure the ratio of the center diff is a 1:1 since it's a 50/50 split. I'm just curious if all center diffs in phase 2 transmissions are the same. All the info I keep finding says basically there's two different differentials - pre '99 and post '99. But they're all talking about manual transmissions and I can't seem to find a straight answer.

I'm pretty sure I've seen in some Subarus that the center is (not real numbers) like 1.11:1 with a 3.9 rear and 4.11 front diff so that it all works out to 4.11 at the wheels for the purpose of biasing torque delivery. I think that was only in WRX and STI, or in the more modern 4EAT with smart torque/ABS.

There is a pretty good table floating around somewhere that shows all the 5MT info for all the years and models. It uses the TYxxxxx looking number from the bell housing to ID things.

(There! Saying that should get someone who knows WTF they are talking about to post) ;)

I'm pretty sure I've seen in some Subarus that the center is (not real numbers) like 1.11:1 with a 3.9 rear and 4.11 front diff so that it all works out to 4.11 at the wheels for the purpose of biasing torque delivery. I think that was only in WRX and STI, or in the more modern 4EAT with smart torque/ABS.

There is a pretty good table floating around somewhere that shows all the 5MT info for all the years and models. It uses the TYxxxxx looking number from the bell housing to ID things.

(There! Saying that should get someone who knows WTF they are talking about to post) ;)

3.90's were used in the WRX, 4.11 can be found in the NA 5MT, and 4.44 can be found in the STI 5MT and FXT 5MT and Outback 4EAT.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. The only info I seem to find is that phase 1 and phase 2 centers are different but nothing concrete about the automatic transmissions. Just a post here or there about them being sealed units and interchangeable.

The car isn't worth much and has about 220,000 on it. I want to sell it to free up some money and I won't get much for it if the tranny is whining and binding once it warms up. If I replace the bearing I spend $100 or so on fluids and a bearing and it's worth a whole lot more and you can live with the binding transmission since it's only sometimes. But I would rather sell a car to someone with no issues especially if I can grab the center from someone else second hand for a good deal. Because I'm not going to throw $400 at a new center diff alone on a car worth $1500 on a good day and then get rid of it.

Archived