LegacyGT.com

VXDiag SSM III Scanners

Has anyone had any experiences with these VXDiag SSM III scanners? They appear to come with a copy of the SSM software (likely pirated) with the ability to do everything an official SSM setup can do and more than FreeSSM. I'm thinking about buying one for my 06 Legacy 2.5i SE.

http://www.vxdiagshop.com/wholesale/vxdiag-subaru-ssm-iii-multi-diagnostic-tool.html

Thanks in advance,

Phillip

I have one. The only time it came in handy was when i used it to recalibrate the steering angle sensor. The software was a pain to get setup and working properly.
Would you recommend in place of a standard OBD2 scanner? As I understand it, it can also read DTCs for things like the ABS and airbag systems, unlike a normal OBD2 scanner. I have held off on a standard scanner just because it seems like this can do more

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Would you recommend in place of a standard OBD2 scanner? As I understand it, it can also read DTCs for things like the ABS and airbag systems, unlike a normal OBD2 scanner. I have held off on a standard scanner just because it seems like this can do more

It's hard to recommend over a regular scanner. It definitely does more than a regular scanner, but I rarely use those features. In fact, you don't need a scanner at all to access DTCs and ABS codes. Just plug the diagnostic connectors together and do a couple other things that I can't remember and the codes will flash in the gauge cluster.

It just depends on if you think having complete access to all the systems in the car is worth it. It's nice to have when I need it. I had a VDC code that was for the steering angle sensor. Rather than go to the dealer, I just busted out the knock off SSM and calibrated it in the driveway.

Some things I couldn't get to work. I tried to reprogram a new key with it, but you need a code from the dealer. I also messed up my TPMS. I was messing around and accidentally cleared the calibration. To recalibrate them you need a special tool that puts the sensors into learning mode. I never could find a reasonably priced tool that was verified to work with my sensors.

So, if you feel all the features are worth it then you'll like it. At this point it's just a novelty for me. I haven't used it in a long, long time. I posted up a screen shot of the menu for SSM III, so you can see all the different things you can access.

Another thing to consider is that it is a pain to get to work. SSM requires a code to gain access. I had to search all over the internet to figure out how to get it working properly. It's been so long I can't remember exactly how I did it. I still get error codes when trying to connect to my car, but it connects just fine. :confused:

1829368361_SSMIIImainmenu.thumb.png.187ed1bbab9e00e250de14734246556b.png

1829896822_SSMIII.thumb.png.0b972dac3e0ede466a9d29ddd1a8dcfa.png

It's hard to recommend over a regular scanner. It definitely does more than a regular scanner, but I rarely use those features. In fact, you don't need a scanner at all to access DTCs and ABS codes. Just plug the diagnostic connectors together and do a couple other things that I can't remember and the codes will flash in the gauge cluster.

It just depends on if you think having complete access to all the systems in the car is worth it. It's nice to have when I need it. I had a VDC code that was for the steering angle sensor. Rather than go to the dealer, I just busted out the knock off SSM and calibrated it in the driveway.

Some things I couldn't get to work. I tried to reprogram a new key with it, but you need a code from the dealer. I also messed up my TPMS. I was messing around and accidentally cleared the calibration. To recalibrate them you need a special tool that puts the sensors into learning mode. I never could find a reasonably priced tool that was verified to work with my sensors.

So, if you feel all the features are worth it then you'll like it. At this point it's just a novelty for me. I haven't used it in a long, long time. I posted up a screen shot of the menu for SSM III, so you can see all the different things you can access.

Another thing to consider is that it is a pain to get to work. SSM requires a code to gain access. I had to search all over the internet to figure out how to get it working properly. It's been so long I can't remember exactly how I did it. I still get error codes when trying to connect to my car, but it connects just fine. :confused:

Thank you so much, I'll definitely have to think about this before buying one.

Thanks again,

Phillip

I have one and find it useful as it will talk to everything on the car, including immobilizer systems. . . it emulates the SSM3 and uses cracked SSM software (which is why it's such a pain to set up). It is *extremely* picky about OS. I wound up having to buy a new(ish) laptop running win7 to get it going. Wouldn't work with XP or 10.

The error code is due to the lack of the CF card. It's benign.

But my mission is a bit different from most. I make and program keys for a living and for a while the SSM was the only thing that would program the prox fobs. Not true anymore but I still paid less for the VXdiag with software than I would for a single piece of software for my T-code pro. . and there are 3 for Subaru. I have one which only covers the earliest models.

I also find it handy for doing stuff like turning off the passenger seat belt warning (my dog rides over there sometimes and doesn't like wearing his belt) or setting the wiper de-icer to work for as long as I tell it to instead of a 12 minute cycle. Or make the door locks unlock with one press of the remote. All of this is stuff you won't be able to do (AFAIK) with any other scanner.

I also rebuild wrecks and it's the only thing that will talk to the airbag systems so I can figure out WTF is making the light stay on after cobbling together a car from 2 or 3 others.

You could pay the $3k for a legit SSM3 plus another $2k/year for software and have no problems with install. . .

But if all you want to do is check/clear codes and view live engine data occasionally, yeah, you don't need this.

I have one and find it useful as it will talk to everything on the car, including immobilizer systems. . . it emulates the SSM3 and uses cracked SSM software (which is why it's such a pain to set up). It is *extremely* picky about OS. I wound up having to buy a new(ish) laptop running win7 to get it going. Wouldn't work with XP or 10.

The error code is due to the lack of the CF card. It's benign.

But my mission is a bit different from most. I make and program keys for a living and for a while the SSM was the only thing that would program the prox fobs. Not true anymore but I still paid less for the VXdiag with software than I would for a single piece of software for my T-code pro. . and there are 3 for Subaru. I have one which only covers the earliest models.

I also find it handy for doing stuff like turning off the passenger seat belt warning (my dog rides over there sometimes and doesn't like wearing his belt) or setting the wiper de-icer to work for as long as I tell it to instead of a 12 minute cycle. Or make the door locks unlock with one press of the remote. All of this is stuff you won't be able to do (AFAIK) with any other scanner.

I also rebuild wrecks and it's the only thing that will talk to the airbag systems so I can figure out WTF is making the light stay on after cobbling together a car from 2 or 3 others.

You could pay the $3k for a legit SSM3 plus another $2k/year for software and have no problems with install. . .

But if all you want to do is check/clear codes and view live engine data occasionally, yeah, you don't need this.

Thank you, it is definitely good to know that these things are picky with their supporting hardware. Something I was wondering is that I saw online that you have to be an ALOA member to program keys, I'm guessing that is not true in this case?

You have to have a NASTF LSID or be very good friends with a Subaru parts manager.

Yes you need an immobilizer code (which is VIN specific) to program keys/fobs. It does not change so once you have it for your car you can go nuts. Odds are your dealer would probably give you YOUR immobilizer code if you shop there somewhat regularly. They may charge you for it as I know they have to pay a couple of bucks to mama subie for them.

There's also an 'enabling password' which is also static and I suppose is a very flimsy extra layer of security to protect the immobilizer features of the SSM. It's 3781.

If you buy one, don't pester me for help getting it set up as I honestly don't remember how I did it. Power through it or bug the tech support people from whom you buy it. . . via skype on 12 hour time difference.

You have to have a NASTF LSID or be very good friends with a Subaru parts manager.

Yes you need an immobilizer code (which is VIN specific) to program keys/fobs. It does not change so once you have it for your car you can go nuts. Odds are your dealer would probably give you YOUR immobilizer code if you shop there somewhat regularly. They may charge you for it as I know they have to pay a couple of bucks to mama subie for them.

There's also an 'enabling password' which is also static and I suppose is a very flimsy extra layer of security to protect the immobilizer features of the SSM. It's 3781.

If you buy one, don't pester me for help getting it set up as I honestly don't remember how I did it. Power through it or bug the tech support people from whom you buy it. . . via skype on 12 hour time difference.

Alright, thanks for the information. Will definitely consider this before purchasing it.

Thanks again,

Phillip

• 3 weeks later...

I saw in a video that there's some junk software you need to install to get the thing working and saw that there's some software license bs involved.

Does this mean the device/laptop needs internet access to work? Can I remove their software manager and still use the device?

What's with the expiration date? Does it stop working and you need to pay again?

So many questions...

Hoping someone here knows before I blow $300+ on this and find out it stops working in a couple of years the hard way.

qw1Cydi.png

Does it need internet access to work?: no. Seem to recall it needed it to set up but once it's going you can go off-grid.

can you remove the software manager and still use the device? don't know. I have the device manager installed and find it kind of handy as it makes sure you have comms with the box. device manager does not have to be running in order to use SSM3 software but I usually fire it up first just to make sure the box is talking to the computer and car. USB ports are dumb sometimes.

does it stop working after expiry date? don't know. don't care. mine says 2026, that's like 9 years from now. If I have it that long and nothing better comes along, I got my money's worth. I will say licenses for additional software titles (toyota, etc.) are only like $20 extra so I'd speculate renewing the license will be cheap if it becomes an issue.

if you're paranoid it's gonna stop working you can always spend the $3200 on the factory approved Denso DST-i plus $2700/year for legit SSM software from momma subie.

. . .or buy this at 1/19th the price and STFU.

Archived