LegacyGT.com

3.0R Available Mods

Hi,

I'm looking into the 3.0R Legacy after some looking around and going for a ride in a stock one.

I just wondered what mods are out there and what power people have been getting out of them without adding boost?

I know most of you will just say buy a LGT but I really like the sound of the H6 and the idea of something more reliable than a EJ255

Anything is appreciated!

A lot of people put a full exhaust on and tune the 3.0R. Obviously suspension mods and are good thing to do. Personally on my 3.0R I have TurboXS axle back exhaust, sway bars and end links, and Hawk HPS brake pads. Along with better wheels and tires. Its the perfect daily driver for what I want and is fun to drive. I will probably do more suspension work down the road.

There's one on autotrader for sale in Quebec. 70 some thousand kms at $9999. Worth a look even if out of province. I believe there are raptor headers for the 3.0, although I'm not sure how much the H6 can make with tuning. Better off spending money on suspension components. It's fast enough for what it is. There's a few fifth gen members with some decent NA power mods and tuning on the 3.6.

Hi,

I'm looking into the 3.0R Legacy after some looking around and going for a ride in a stock one.

I just wondered what mods are out there and what power people have been getting out of them without adding boost?

I know most of you will just say buy a LGT but I really like the sound of the H6 and the idea of something more reliable than a EJ255

Anything is appreciated!

My 3.0R's front end is now wearing KSport coilovers, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, ATS/Brembo front brake calipers, EBC Yellow Stuff pads, with StopTech braided hoses. On deck are LCA polyurethane bushings, steering rack poly bushings, rear suspension poly bushings, Whiteline front and rear swaybars with, guess what?..... poly bushings. The trick with the 3.0R front end is there's less room for the swaybar because the engine is longer and interferes with L/GT bars. Since I haven't found time to install it I can't comment on the changes to handling but I expect less body roll in the turns with a little more harshness over rough pavement. It's a price I'm willing to pay.

So far the stiffer KSport springs are helping reduce body roll slightly and being adjustable for compression & rebound (36 settings between firm and soft) I'm still dialing them in for the potholed/asphalt patched NYState roads. So far they are a vast improvement over the stock struts. Taking into account that my 3.0R came with Bilstein cartridges that's saying a lot (they had over 100K miles on them but still....).

I don't want to install the new front swaybar (FSB) unless I can install the new rear bar (RSB) at the same time because a thicker front bar adds understeer just like a solo rear bar adds oversteer. My goal is less body roll and neutral handling. My new front bar will be 22mm and the rear will be 20mm. Combined they should give me the flat turn-in and enhanced tire grip I'm looking for.

I switched from A/S tires years, and several cars, ago. A/S tires are a compromise, trying to handle all temps and conditions. Sorry, I don't buy it. I always mount dedicated winter and summer tires, the best I can afford. They give me confidence, not to act stupid, but with their added ability to keep me out of danger (with just a little stupid speed thrown in).

Enginewise there's not much I could find for the EZ30D engine but I have to admit I didn't look very hard. I bought the 3.0R because I don't trust turbos. The EZ30D's 246HP is more than my last car made with its 3.0 liters so I was satisfied. Plus NYState has some of the pickiest emission testing requirements in the country. They require testing once a year and I'm afraid of any engine mods that might cause a fail. About the only thig I might try would be a cold air intake and a cat-back exhaust. Since more power isn't high on my list I'll focus on the suspension and brakes (I have plans for the rear brakes later).

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253011&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1501078531http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253012&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1501078531

Almost forgot the new wheels & tires..........

?ui=2&ik=84b6ddbd7c&view=fimg&th=15cdc3f4ae5d44d4&attid=0.1.2&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ8DnYJJzdsJ9Z5HlXU9RoSrdND7uwbR6v9V6YuewPzL_5CWUnPrx8KQy5SeWNY7tqPO3uG09FTBaol_XqzEGo7Ad-wFTA5AT0oIfx2Kd06aWdFADoggmB6Omgw&sz=w616-h462&ats=1498343767123&rm=15cdc3f4ae5d44d4&zw&atsh=1

There's one on autotrader for sale in Quebec. 70 some thousand kms at $9999. Worth a look even if out of province. I believe there are raptor headers for the 3.0, although I'm not sure how much the H6 can make with tuning. Better off spending money on suspension components. It's fast enough for what it is. There's a few fifth gen members with some decent NA power mods and tuning on the 3.6.

I'd definitely do sway bars and endlinks. I've also looked at Raptor's SC kits, I just wonder how well the 5EAT and a stock block would cope with like 7-8 psi of boost

My 3.0R's front end is now wearing KSport coilovers, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, ATS/Brembo front brake calipers, EBC Yellow Stuff pads, with StopTech braided hoses. On deck are LCA polyurethane bushings, steering rack poly bushings, rear suspension poly bushings, Whiteline front and rear swaybars with, guess what?..... poly bushings. The trick with the 3.0R front end is there's less room for the swaybar because the engine is longer and interferes with L/GT bars. Since I haven't found time to install it I can't comment on the changes to handling but I expect less body roll in the turns with a little more harshness over rough pavement. It's a price I'm willing to pay.

So far the stiffer KSport springs are helping reduce body roll slightly and being adjustable for compression & rebound (36 settings between firm and soft) I'm still dialing them in for the potholed/asphalt patched NYState roads. So far they are a vast improvement over the stock struts. Taking into account that my 3.0R came with Bilstein cartridges that's saying a lot (they had over 100K miles on them but still....).

I don't want to install the new front swaybar (FSB) unless I can install the new rear bar (RSB) at the same time because a thicker front bar adds understeer just like a solo rear bar adds oversteer. My goal is less body roll and neutral handling. My new front bar will be 22mm and the rear will be 20mm. Combined they should give me the flat turn-in and enhanced tire grip I'm looking for.

I switched from A/S tires years, and several cars, ago. A/S tires are a compromise, trying to handle all temps and conditions. Sorry, I don't buy it. I always mount dedicated winter and summer tires, the best I can afford. They give me confidence, not to act stupid, but with their added ability to keep me out of danger (with just a little stupid speed thrown in).

Enginewise there's not much I could find for the EZ30D engine but I have to admit I didn't look very hard. I bought the 3.0R because I don't trust turbos. The EZ30R's 246HP is more than my last car made with its 3.0 liters so I was satisfied. Plus NYState has some of the pickiest emission testing requirements in the country. They require testing once a year and I'm afraid of any engine mods that might cause a fail. About the only thig I might try would be a cold air intake and a cat-back exhaust. Since more power isn't high on my list I'll focus on the suspension and brakes (I have plans for the rear brakes later).

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253011&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1501078531http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=253012&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1501078531

Raptor makes intakes and headers for the 3.0R, I just wonder if finding a full header-back exhaust is worth it and how much extra power is gained once tuned. I actually live in VT, so emissions isn't really an issue.

The Raptor Headers sure are purdy but a bit out of my price-range.

http://raptorsc.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/subaru6-01-1.jpg

I haven't been through VT in years, not since I quit skiing. Beautiful state and, if I remember correctly, smooth twisty roads. I hope you and your 3.0R get out and enjoy them.......... often.

I Think Raptor Headers have to happen, It's like a requirement ;) Good luck, Remeber that Limiteds Have Alloy arms, Bilsteins and LGT Front Brakes I believe. So If you can be picky and find one of them go for it. You'll be Happy Either way with your choice.

I Think Raptor Headers have to happen, It's like a requirement ;) Good luck, Remeber that Limiteds Have Alloy arms, Bilsteins and LGT Front Brakes I believe. So If you can be picky and find one of them go for it. You'll be Happy Either way with your choice.

My "Limited" has stamped steel LCAs, not cast aluminum. Don't know if they were replaced by a previous owner or just weren't so equipped. I did have Bilstein dampers until I replaced them with KSport coilovers. I can't confirm the LGT brakes. I don't know what, if any, differences there are between standard and GT brakes so I can't comment. I now have ATS/Brembo calipers up front and I do recommend them.

http://www.ctsvbrakeswap.com/subaru-kits

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cadillac-ats-brembo-caliper-upgrade-your-subaru-251912.html?t=251912&highlight=brake+conversion

My "Limited" has stamped steel LCAs, not cast aluminum. Don't know if they were replaced by a previous owner or just weren't so equipped. I did have Bilstein dampers until I replaced them with KSport coilovers. I can't confirm the LGT brakes. I don't know what, if any, differences there are between standard and GT brakes so I can't comment. I now have ATS/Brembo calipers up front and I do recommend them.

http://www.ctsvbrakeswap.com/subaru-kits

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cadillac-ats-brembo-caliper-upgrade-your-subaru-251912.html?t=251912&highlight=brake+conversion

I've been looking into the brembo swap, and Raptor headers will definitely happen. I'm looking more and more into supercharging, I'd like to be around 270-280 whp

The limiteds came with the steel LCAs.

Archived