LegacyGT.com

Calling Q300 Owners, Got Some Questions

Hi,

I got some questions regarding the loudness of the Q300. I've got a 2007 specB, bone stock. I dig the quad pipe look of the Q300 but am a bit weary of the noise and drone. Unfortunately, YouTube videos don't help you gauge how loud it is. I prefer subtlety but would like to make some more power in the future. So I got a few questions to help me figure out a few things:

1) If I do get a Q300, I'm eventually looking to stick on a catted downpipe to eek out some more power. I do mostly highway driving and the specB is my daily - will such a setup drone/be overbearing for a daily? A friend of mine who has a full catless setup and an Invidia N1 on an STI claims that the Q300 will be quiet and certainly livable. Another friend who has a Varex setup has told me otherwise. I've been getting conflicting opinions.

2) Does the exhaust require/new/lower hangers? If so, how many?

3) If anybody has any good suggestions regarding exhausts, by all means fire away. I'm new to this

Thanks!

I feel my new Q300 on the back of my catless dp is to loud for the drive to VT every winter weekend. It's nice with the windows down but to loud for long drives.

I'll be having a muffler put in the mid pipe before winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't know how applicable my input is since my car has gone through some changes. Furthermore, my definition of loud and yours will most definitely differ.

For starters I was using a GT Spec ELH matted to a catless downpipe. At this point I still felt the Q300 was manageable.

I then switch to a catted divorced Grimspeed downpipe which toned it down quite a bit. All of these changes took place on my previous motor which had 8:1 compression pistons along with a stock VF40.

Fast forward to today... The header is now a Killer B, the turbo is now a SoCal Porting Stage 3 VF52 and the engine is 9:1 compression. The Q300 was noticeably louder but not enough to make daily driving the car unbearable. (13 miles each way) Which of these changes had the most influence in sound? Who knows.

I do agree with Max Capacity's statement regarding long trips. Once the car is off the base map and fully tuned I'll make the determination to add another muffler or leave it as is.

Hope this help if even just a little.

I consider mine stupid loud. My stock exhaust failed and I was digging the quad look (like you) but I REALLY wish I went Borla instead. Picked up maybe 5 g/sec of flow, but it wasn't worth the embarrassment of being "that guy" driving around town. My throttle usage is now 100% around mitigating noise, so I hardly get to enjoy the car.

This is with ELH, an Evo3 16G, and a catted downpipe.

Another option for a quad setup is OEM sti sedan cans. They fit with minimal modification by an exhaust shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added a vibrant 3" muffler and it definitely quieted her up. It is paired with invidia catless dp and perrin elh. Cold start is obviously loud but once warmed up it sounds great and coasting on freeway its really quiet with no drone. 20160613_205250.thumb.jpg.5c37ee46fd8da9127232ad56d7f4e500.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

Added a vibrant 3" muffler and it definitely quieted her up. It is paired with invidia catless dp and perrin elh. Cold start is obviously loud but once warmed up it sounds great and coasting on freeway its really quiet with no drone. [ATTACH]253286[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Which vibrant muffler is this?

vibrant 1794 if i recall....

Sent from my sm-g935v using tapatalk

thanks !

Great picture too.

I see Vibrant has a 1119 muffler too, but it's 19" long.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1119/overview/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just switched from the borla catback to the q300 and I personally liked the sound of the borla better. The q300 is fine at low rpms but as soon as I get into the throttle it sounds ricey imo. I have Perrin elh and a catless invidia dp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the input. There's a lot of things to think about. By the looks of it, most people say a catted downpipe and a Q300 with a resonator seems to do the trick. Marvick08GT, when I look for Q300's online, I don't see any option for a resonator. Does it usually come as part of the package?

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the input. There's a lot of things to think about. By the looks of it, most people say a catted downpipe and a Q300 with a resonator seems to do the trick. Marvick08GT, when I look for Q300's online, I don't see any option for a resonator. Does it usually come as part of the package?

Looks like all of them come with resonators now? Who knows lol, fyi , it was too loud for my wife without the 2nd resonator.. ;)

Archived