LegacyGT.com

What do you think of the next Legacy GT?

A_A_ron

It's back or at least it will be in the form of a 2.4 turbo powered Legacy. I have confirmed a number of things with my local Subaruguru.

-The H6 is dead. They will not be continuing a 6 cylinder in the SGP.

-The 7th Gen Legacy will roll out in 2020 along with the Outback on the SGP.

-The Ascent will debut a 2.4 Turbo FA (or FB?) for it's sport/limited power trim.

All of these combine to say that the new Legacy generation will have a turbo'd 2.4 like the Ascent. It's very likely that the Forester, Outback, and Legacy will all share this power train option.

As far as a hood scoop or manual transmission that's something we could only speculate on.

The current Forester has the top mounted inter cooler fed by an air duct from the grill. I don't think they would trade the higher hood and fuel economy for the cleaner look. Since the Legacy is a lower car raising the hood and grill a couple inches will probably hurt visibility.

My buddy doubted they would offer a manual transmission mostly because the current Legacy Outback line up does not. There is some hope though as he said he's been surprised by the offerings that have come through. He noted there was an Impreza with HK radio, leather trim, and other limited style goodies paired with a 5 speed stick.

If it turns out only to be a CVT option we will probably see the Legacy become a hard to tune car as the CVTs haven't been exactly tolerant of much power and the FAs have had carbon build up issues being direct injected.

Anyway that's the latest rumors and my take on where the Legacy line is going. I hope to see a spec B or STI inspired larger sedan but I think the auto market is leaning to far towards the crossover for Subaru to make a dive into a car like the 5th Gen Legacy GT.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys ... I have a source deep in SIA who told me that the 2020 Legacy in stock trim is actually going to be an M6/RS7 fighter ... can't wait! When I asked if they were going to have an STI version to really blow them away, he wouldn't confirm anything, but he smirked pretty hard and gave me a wink. Safe to say, it's almost certain we'll see an STI Legacy Super Sedan by 2022 at the latest.

Hey guys ... I have a source deep in SIA who told me that the 2010 Legacy in stock trim is actually going to be an M6/RS7 fighter ... can't wait! When I asked if they were going to have an STI version to really blow them away, he wouldn't confirm anything, but he smirked pretty hard and gave me a wink. Safe to say, it's almost certain we'll see an STI Legacy Super Sedan by 2012 at the latest.

Re-dated for historical effect. :lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Hey guys ... I have a source deep in SIA who told me that the 2020 Legacy in stock trim is actually going to be an M6/RS7 fighter ... can't wait! When I asked if they were going to have an STI version to really blow them away, he wouldn't confirm anything, but he smirked pretty hard and gave me a wink. Safe to say, it's almost certain we'll see an STI Legacy Super Sedan by 2022 at the latest.

Funny, but to be fair this is the news and rumors forum so this is where we would talk about it.

And you regurgitated a bunch of information on things we already knew, then put your own weird spin on things. And we definitely know that all the best secrets at SIA leak out through the local shop in Omaha.

If your location was something like "Philly" I might actually wonder where you heard this.

• I Donated
Please fill me in if I am out of the loop on something

Here's what you're out of the loop on: people have been speculating for the past 8 years about cool stuff coming down the line for the Legacy. Wagon, FA20, OBXT, H6 with 6MT, etc. Not only have their hopes been dashed, but Subaru has actually regressed from what they did have. They killed the LGT, then they removed the 6MT from the B (Legacy/Outback) altogether. I'm sure the FA24DIT is coming to the Legacy/Outback at somepoint, given that the trend is to phase out 6-cylinders in favor of turbo 4s (Hyundai, Ford, Honda, etc.). But as for a new LGT or Legacy STI or anything exciting whatsoever for the Outback, I wouldn't get your hopes up. The most we can hope for at this point is a WRX hatch or Crosstrek XT with a stick.

To add on to what tfh said, we all know the Ascent is (reportedly) going to have a 2.4 DIT. They're building all the cars on the global platform, so that's not news or a rumor. It's like saying "This thing's going to have 4 wheels, a windshield, some seats and doors. And probably AWD."

You mean to tell me they're going to use variants of the same motor in multiple chassis? Get out!

You don't think they'll duct air below the hood, because Legacy would sit too low compared to a Forester? What do you think the difference in air temperature is across that 8-10" up to where the Forester might be?

What you're missing is that you applied a lot of weird speculation on top of a lot of old info.

I'd love to see an STI Legacy but I'm a realist and have to agree with the guy above, it simply isn't going to happen. Hope I'm proven wrong.

I don't know what "deep inside" SIA means but I have many family members and friends that work at SIA, both production and otherwise. And none of them have caught wind of any such shenanigans coming down the line. I have been told, however, that the 7th gen will be in 2019. Which is about right if you figure a new gen every five years.

It WILL BE in '19 as a '20 model. ;) Always will be, always has been. SOA does 5yr model runs on the Legacy. Started in 1990, hasn't changed since.

Take our SALT as experience. :lol: Seriously, we're just telling you what is going to happen to save you feelings of disappointment.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Thanks for the discussion! I understand we have been wishing for a long time to see an actual LGT come back and it can be annoying talking about it. I am trying not to be jaded but given the information we actually know about a turbo'd Legacy it's a nice thought that we can be a tune and a few cosmetic changes away from having a newer version of the car we love.

• I Donated
it's a nice thought that we can be a tune and a few cosmetic changes away from having a newer version of the car we love.

Yes, it's a nice thought that that could happen. Not much more than a nice thought, though. :lol:

I am trying not to be jaded but given the information we actually know about a turbo'd Legacy it's a nice thought that we can be a tune and a few cosmetic changes away from having a newer version of the car we love.
When I got my LGT Wagon 5MT it had been sitting on the lot for ages, ironically later on people really wanted it because it was rare. Car makers and dealers hate dead inventory. Subaru doesn't want to take chances like they once did. They won't even try to sell the Levorg in this country. So, the next gen Legacy is almost sure to be a 2020 model, sedan only, 2.4 DIT with CVT. This is due to CAFE, so few manual transmission cars selling and so few Legacy wagons selling. I would love to be surprised, but I really don't expect to be.

When I got my LGT Wagon 5MT it had been sitting on the lot for ages, ironically later on people really wanted it because it was rare. Car makers and dealers hate dead inventory. Subaru doesn't want to take chances like they once did. They won't even try to sell the Levorg in this country. So, the next gen Legacy is almost sure to be a 2020 model, sedan only, 2.4 DIT with CVT. This is due to CAFE, so few manual transmission cars selling and so few Legacy wagons selling. I would love to be surprised, but I really don't expect to be.

You make a good point. No dealership wants anything sitting around. Half the time they expect to have an empty show room floor Monday morning. I would consider it a victory if there was even just the option to order it with a 6MT.

When I got my LGT Wagon 5MT it had been sitting on the lot for ages, ironically later on people really wanted it because it was rare.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. A lot of people knew the WRX/STi and were drawn to it, but overlooked the Legacy GT. Once people realized they performed equally or better than WRX {Stock for stock}, The interested demographic grew.

To add on to what tfh said, we all know the Ascent is (reportedly) going to have a 2.4 DIT. They're building all the cars on the global platform, so that's not news or a rumor. It's like saying "This thing's going to have 4 wheels, a windshield, some seats and doors. And probably AWD."

You mean to tell me they're going to use variants of the same motor in multiple chassis? Get out!

Really, They need 2 sized cars, each in Sedan and Hatchback or wagon variant. Then just give options to turbo or not, lift or not, AT vs MT and you have the impreza/wrx/sti/legacy/outback/crosstrek covered.

In NY we have tons of subarus but I rarely see anyone with a Tribeca. If they were to drop it, I don't think there would be much love loss.

The forester is popular though but wouldn't fit that formula.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. A lot of people knew the WRX/STi and were drawn to it, but overlooked the Legacy GT. Once people realized they performed equally or better than WRX {Stock for stock}, The interested demographic grew.
The problem for Subaru is not enough people actually did buy one new. Maybe your typical Subaru car shopper thought it was a gas hog soccer mom car with a manual trans. Subaru sold a lot more Outbacks and 2.5i Legacies with auto trans.

When I saw the LGT 5-speed wagon, I thought it was a great touring car like what I saw traveling around in Europe (but wasn't being sold here). I just happened to need a new car, so there you go.

In NY we have tons of subarus but I rarely see anyone with a Tribeca. If they were to drop it, I don't think there would be much love loss.

Uhh ... They haven't made the Tribeca in 3 years. They done dropped it already.

Nonsense

Tell your super sleuth source to bring the Levorg here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, the next gen Legacy WILL be a 2020 model, sedan only, 2.4 DIT with CVT. This is due to CAFE, so few manual transmission cars selling and so few Legacy wagons selling. I would love to be surprised, but I really don't expect to be.

Will be 2020. It's not an almost sure or even a near certainty. Will be. :lol:

However, did you see the last Gen Legacy that got the 2.0 DIT w/CVT? Just like the WRX and Forester? No? Hmmm. That's odd. They put it in multiple formats/models but it never came to the Legacy platform. :iam: Don't count on it coming with the next one. ;) Sure, it might, but don't get your hopes up until SOA sends out a PR stating it.

The 1st FA20DIT application was in a Legacy in Japan though.

The first Legacy "STI" was in Japan too. :confused: How does that get us S402's here in the states? :iam:

Will be 2020. It's not an almost sure or even a near certainty. Will be. :lol:

However, did you see the last Gen Legacy that got the 2.0 DIT w/CVT? Just like the WRX and Forester? No? Hmmm. That's odd. They put it in multiple formats/models but it never came to the Legacy platform. :iam: Don't count on it coming with the next one. ;) Sure, it might, but don't get your hopes up until SOA sends out a PR stating it.

There's one good reason to believe the 2.4 will end up in a Legacy though, while those other motors did not. The 2.4 is being developed for the Ascent which is being developed for the US market. The 2.5L Turbos were also developed for the USDM WRX STI introduced in 2004, and that translated into all sorts of USDM cars and wasn't dropped into their cars in several (most?) other markets.

But I still think the speculation game around here is stupid. People apply the most absurd, nonsensical "logic" to support their absurd, nonsensical theories as to what Subaru is going to do next.

What do I think of the next Legacy GT? Same as I think about my odds of winning the lottery. It could happen, but probably not.

Archived