LegacyGT.com

Hello! Quick question on a ej22t

Hello everyone!

As my name would suggest, i am looking at swapping a EJ22 in place of my Ea82. But i am not here for the swap details.

I recently found a turbo legacy wagon at a junkyard, most of the body has been picked apart, however the motor area is 95% complete. Minus a coil pack and a few small things. The odometer reads 24x,000 miles. Which is a lot! Upon inspection, the motor appears to be locked up, i pulled all spark plugs and still couldnt get it to turn. No big surprise to me. However i know where a running legacy (non turbo) is at and im going to talk to the owner in seeing if he will let it go. Now i am aware that the wiring harnesses will be different, same with exhaust and such. I plan on rebuilding it all (and i have a few tricks to unlock the motor..) But questions for you all.

Do the cam shafts have bearings in them? Or do they ride on the head?

Would i be able to use the crank and heads from the running 2.2?

Are the heads and cams the same or are they different? Different lift?

What about pistons? Any difference in them?

I am asking before i pull because i dont want to waste my time. But i am also curious because i want to make sure i do a very thorough and clean swap. But i hear the ej22t is a fun swap into the older subaru loyales.

I appreciate everyones time. Thank you and im sure I will be back with more questions.

Do the cam shafts have bearings in them? Or do they ride on the head?>In the head.

Would i be able to use the crank and heads from the running 2.2? Crank is same (forged). heads are different as the pass. side has the oil/water in/outs for the turbo.

Are the heads and cams the same or are they different? Different lift? Both different, but the cams will work in the NA heads.

What about pistons? Any difference in them? Pistons are lower dish (?) for low CR to allow boost. Also, they are coated for toughness - not forged.

Locked up or not, I'd get the motor at least for the rotating assembly itself. That block is rare as hell and even rebuildables are going for $300-500 in the open market. Turnkey examples go for almost $1000 or more.

The cams in the Turbo Legacy have a longer intake and exhaust duration, if I'm not mistaken.

Archived