LegacyGT.com

What happens when you're stuck in BFE with no Subaru dealer reasonably close?

rec630

Subarus, their engines and CVT are new to me as I do research on possible new cars and it has been so long since I purchased a new one.

Subaru dealerships on initial review dont appear to be super plentiful outside of more urban areas/larger cities.

Any car I've had before when I had a problem while traveling, I managed to get it worked on no matter how remote or rural the area was that I was in. Engines/parts were similar enough that a GM car could get worked on at about any GM dealer or even a local mechanic. Hondas and Toyotas are popular enough to often find a place in at least 40 to 60 miles.

What do you do with your Subaru and the nearest dealer is 150-200 miles away when you need service?

(I realize I am no doubt overthinking the new car thing, but this came up in a new car discussion I was having and I didnt have a good answer other than pay for the tow to nearest dealer)

Your argument could hold true for any car from any dealer that is far away.

Can you define "service"?

Do you mean regular maintenance, like oil changes? There is nothing specialized about that.

Overall, there isn't anything really "specialized" about any regular maintenance on the Subaru.

I've changed the oil on my CVT once at 60K and plan to do it again around 120K.

If you are concerned about "unscheduled service" like repairs and warranty work, then yes, you will need to bring the car to the dealer. You could potentially negotiate free towing to the dealer from your house, but you may already get free towing under warranty.

Please describe your real concern and what you mean by service, and we can probably help to put your mind at ease.

Lots of places can work on Subarus. Nowadays, Subarus are a lot more common, especially places that get snow. Many mechanics subscribe to Alldata or other services that give them repair instructions and labor estimates. Most repairs on a Subaru are pretty similar to other Japanese cars. Maintenance is routine stuff. Parts can be shipped overnight or next day. The dealers might need to get involved for more complex engine or transmission repairs. That could require a trip on a flatbed.

@rec630 This might give you a warm and fuzzy feeling. Subaru has a free towing service if needed I believe it is three years. Note Subaru must be lifted on a flat bed not towed on two wheels

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Lots of places can work on Subarus. Nowadays, Subarus are a lot more common, especially places that get snow. Many mechanics subscribe to Alldata or other services that give them repair instructions and labor estimates. Most repairs on a Subaru are pretty similar to other Japanese cars. Maintenance is routine stuff. Parts can be shipped overnight or next day. The dealers might need to get involved for more complex engine or transmission repairs. That could require a trip on a flatbed.

Thanks, this response was more in line with what my question was trying to ask. Wasnt concerned about oil changes or regular PM which I keep up to date on, but rather when travelling and something unexpectedly breaks in the midle of nowhere. I realize parts may be delayed a day or two, but wasnt sure about non Subaru dealerships or independent mechanic shops being able to do work and get me going again if the nearest Sub dealer was e.g. 150+ miles away. With the CVT, which I realize we are starting to see on other brands, wasnt sure how much other stuff was not "typical".

What is BFE? I am guessing it is the middle of nowhere - but I have no idea what the acronym stands for.
I think it came from military slang, since they have a tendency to send people to the middle of nowhere and love three-letter acronyms (TLAs). ;)

I learned something new; I had never heard that term before today.

LOL. Sorry, Ive used that acronym/term for so long, I didn't think about it not being common vernacular. Region and age probably contribute but I see it at least has made it to an entry in Urban Dictionary. Just like Snafu et al, I would also guess it probably has a military slang origin.

Thanks again for the responses to the original question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
There's nothing super secret with Subarus that any independant shop that you'd trust with any other brand should be competent enough to work on a Subaru.
There is the need for that pesky Subaru Select Monitor for all kinds of programming and troubleshooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Archived