LegacyGT.com

Recent Blackstone Article - Oil debate

I found this article reading a Jalopnik post this morning and I know this topic has been covered extensively here so I figured many here would find it useful. It came out July 1 but I didn't see it posted here so I wanted to share, Blackstone did a study specifically on the EJ 2.5L turbo. Good read..

PDF attached but link is below as well:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/July-1-2017.php

blackstone article.pdf

Another way of looking at it is that there is hardly any significant difference in wear factors for the leading oils of the same spec. So, use whichever one you like that is on sale this week! Not sure I totally agree with that conclusion, but they don't show a lot of difference.

Another way of looking at it is that there is hardly any significant difference in wear factors for the leading oils of the same spec. So, use whichever one you like that is on sale this week! Not sure I totally agree with that conclusion, but they don't show a lot of difference.

Kind of what I did with my 05. It's first 142,000 miles was on which ever 5w-30 was on sale at Walmart and Fram filters. Oil was mostly Mobil 5000 or Shell 5w-30. When I put a short block in the bearings in the old block were fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Kind of what I did with my 05. It's first 142,000 miles was on which ever 5w-30 was on sale at Walmart and Fram filters. Oil was mostly Mobil 5000 or Shell 5w-30. When I put a short block in the bearings in the old block were fine.

I'll stick to a 5w-40 weight only because I am on a built shortblock and that is what my builder suggested. I am currently 1,300 miles into break in and the car burns no oil what so ever.

Exactly. I've always tried to pick an oil and stick with it to give an engine a relatively steady diet of the same additive package to keep the engine clean but I have never feared switching midstream if I had to.

Oil is oil. I don't think people will be able to detect a difference in engine life by choosing one brand of oil over another. They will however be able to detect the difference in the size of their bank account if they keep buying the expensive stuff.

Interesting read. It kind of makes sense though as under normal operating conditions, there really shouldn't be much difference unless there are inherent design flaws. I suspect the only time you might notice a difference is under abnormal conditions such as during abnormal combustion where the oil film might be sqeezed put of the bearing due to massive cylinder pressures. Dunno though.

I have to agree with you two. It's about using good oil and doing regular oil and filter changes.

Send a sample off to Blackstone when you oil has 3500 miles on it and decide from there.

If you have a NA engine oil is not that important.

Just keep in mind the turbo gets hot and spin's pretty fast.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived