LegacyGT.com

Need quick help with shifter slop!

Decided to pull out my housing to diagnose all the slop i have while in gear. To my wonderment, i noticed the ball is heavy caked in old grease and outside it is covered in debris. Pictures are after partial cleaning!

My quick questions

1.) What is the plastic piece that sits on the ball called ( I thought it was a shift rod bushing?)

2.) How much grease (if any) is actually needed

bearing.jpg

housing.jpg

Oh this fun. I wasn't able to find the part number when I had this issue. They wanted to sell the entire assembly.

I believe the spring clip popped out of the retaining groove. If you can bend it a little outwards (into a larger circle), then place it back in the original location.

I put a new O-ring on it (you appear to be missing one at the base) and some grease and put it back together. Buy an assortment at Harbor Freight if you have one nearby.

If the Nylon part is damaged (I can't tell if yours is), I'd consider printing a replacement part.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_27/manipulation/manual_gear_shift_system/

Was that cir-clip engaged in the groove at the top of the socket? If it not, you would have a lot of slop. Otherwise, some of your other shifter bushings may be shot. Something like this could help:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-19-1102g/applications/year/2005

BTW, the ball and socket should just be packed with grease, no reason not to.

e-shift-bushings.jpg.0da75c81434addffb723a71a10608e69.jpg

Decided to pull out my housing to diagnose all the slop i have while in gear. To my wonderment, i noticed the ball is heavy caked in old grease and outside it is covered in debris. Pictures are after partial cleaning!

My quick questions

1.) What is the plastic piece that sits on the ball called ( I thought it was a shift rod bushing?)

2.) How much grease (if any) is actually needed

bearing.jpg

housing.jpg

I just ordered the cage (bushing), orings and a new snap ring. It definitely helped with slop. I do already have all other shift bushings. Here are the part numbers you need; they are fairly cheap as well.

031432000 SNAP RING-INNER 1

062620280 O-RING 2

35035KA010BUSHING 1

Was that cir-clip engaged in the groove at the top of the socket? If it not, you would have a lot of slop. Otherwise, some of your other shifter bushings may be shot. Something like this could help:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-19-1102g/applications/year/2005

BTW, the ball and socket should just be packed with grease, no reason not to.

C clip was engaged before pulling out.

second O ring is still in the socket.

Archived