LegacyGT.com

2016 Legacy 3.6r Limited Tire question

Hello All!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My first owned car was a 1993 Impreza then a 1994 Legacy Wagon about 10 years ago, and for the last 2 cars went Ford (Taurus, and then a new 2010 Fusion Hybrid). Last week I traded in the Hybrid for a one year lease back 2016 Legacy 3.6r Limited in Black with 19,800KM. :spin: Just about to hit 23,000KM. The difference in fun to drive, almost cancels out the difference in gas consumption. :lol:

My main question is around Tire sizes. A year ago I replaced the winter tires on my Fusion and wanted to see if they would be ok to use on the Legacy. I know the size is not listed as a size for the car, but I'd figure I ask the experts before going out and getting a new set.

The tires I have are Michelin X-Ice2 P225/50R17, and it looks like the Legacy can take 225/55R17s.

From what I can figure out, the difference is in the tire height by about .5 of an inch. I believe that will be ok, it will just lower the car a little.

What do you guys think? Will this work, and be fine. If not I'll start saving up for a new set of X-Ice.

Thanks!

Chess

Hello All!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Last week I traded in the Hybrid for a one year lease back 2016 Legacy 3.6r Limited in Black with 19,800KM. Just about to hit 23,000KM. The difference in fun to drive, almost cancels out the difference in gas consumption. My main question is around Tire sizes.Thanks!

Chess

Hi Chess ... welcome to the 3.6 owners gang. Sorry I can't help with any winter tyre questions ... we have no need for 'em .... we are more at risk of tyres melting here :lol:

P.S. forget about the gas consumption and just enjoy ;)

Buy some spare cheap wheels for your winter tires so it will be a simple swap when changing.

And make sure you get and program the TPMS sensors for the cheap wheels or your tire pressure light will always be on.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

And make sure you get and program the TPMS sensors for the cheap wheels or your tire pressure light will always be on.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Eh, it's easy enough to ignore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Chess ... welcome to the 3.6 owners gang. Sorry I can't help with any winter tyre questions ... we have no need for 'em .... we are more at risk of tyres melting here :lol:

P.S. forget about the gas consumption and just enjoy ;)

Thank you for the warm welcome. I live in Calgary and it is not the snow that gets you here. It is the ice. For me it is peiece of mind.

Main reason I went with the Legacy was due to the all wheel drive. My new job requires me to travel a lot. Up to 900 km north of me. And they get a lot of snow up there. My fuision used to slide on dry pavement. :lol:

I did consider a 2016 Fusion AWD Turbo Platinum but in the end my daughter picked the Legacy.

Funny on the highway I get pretty close to what my Fusion Hybrid used to get.

And your speed/odometer will be off a little.

Yep. I did see that when I looked. I beieve what I found was at 20 km/h I would read 19.6. Not going to be that big of a deal. If I get 2 or 3 years out of the tires I can swap to a stock size.

Eh, it's easy enough to ignore

I talked to my wife's Nissan dealer about getting them for her Murano but they said it was a waste of money.

Does the Subie warning light flash or just stay on solid like my old ford. I think the Nissan one blinks for quite awhile after you start it. Drives my wife crazy but she does not want to spend the money either.

I talked to my wife's Nissan dealer about getting them for her Murano but they said it was a waste of money.

Does the Subie warning light flash or just stay on solid like my old ford. I think the Nissan one blinks for quite awhile after you start it. Drives my wife crazy but she does not want to spend the money either.

IIRC the light just stays on, and the little screen will say something about the TPMS for a few seconds when you start the car

Yep. I did see that when I looked. I beieve what I found was at 20 km/h I would read 19.6. Not going to be that big of a deal. If I get 2 or 3 years out of the tires I can swap to a stock size.

The speed on a sat nav system is pretty accurate, I used to think it was a bit off when using it on previous cars until in my legacy when a friend pointed out that was the only car he's been in where it read the same (talking about older cars here!)

Being an ex-police car, the speedo had been calibrated.

So in other cars i just go by what the sat nav says to help speedo correction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The canadian subarus do not have TPMS :)

The canadian subarus do not have TPMS :)

WHAT? :eek:

WOW, I did not know that. I guess I will have to check them more often that I normally do. I guess now I don't have to worry about it at all then. Quite shocked by that TBH.

I guess I just assumed a $30K Canadian car would have that, as all of the other cars I looked at has it in some fashion. Hell even the Fusion I had from 2010 had it, and it might have saved a blow out on the highway a few years ago when I had a bad leak from a tire.

Wait a second, as far as Im aware the newer H6 Legacy cars come with 18 in wheels. Are you sure you have 17 inch wheels?

She does have 18 inch wheels, however most cars have a number of sizes that fit. I checked and she can take 17s and even a large 16 inch wheel. However I already have newer winters and wanted to reuse them if they were close enough.

Archived