LegacyGT.com

Torque converter seal NIGHTMARE! Advise needed.

Highboy

To make a long story short I am on my third attempt to get this seal installed correctly. Also my third time pulling the engine. The original fix was for head gasket replacements and a new timing belt.

The second time I pulled the engine was after the initial fail of the original seal. I had transmission fluid pouring everywhere. The second time I replaced it, and had the same problem, though less fluid. I could not find any reference for this particular set up - 1992 Legacy with the TZ102 Transaxle Automatic 4 Spd transmission. So every reference I had (for different Subaru's) indicated that the seal should be flush with the mouse of the trans casing, or in about 1mm or so. For the vehicle I have, this does not fully seat the seal.

I have provided some pictures to show that the seal (and I have ordered three now - all the same dimensions) will sit well in the cavity for the seal when fully seated and will sit back probably an eighth of an inch.

Does anyone know if this is correct and to just fully seat the seal in the cavity? I just ruined one because I was unsure and got impatient and bent it a bit pushing it in.

I am almost ready to scrap the car, but I have replaced the head gaskets, new tires. timing belt, battery, valve seals, oil pan gasket, and others I can;t even recall now. If I can't get this resolved I am just going to have to cut my losses I am afraid . . .:(

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/HbteIRa.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/H47QHHz.jpg[/img]

I took some measurements and the recess where the seal goes is 1/2 and inch deep. The seal is 13/32 thick, so to fully seat it I will have the seal set back about 3/32. My concern is that all the reference pictures I can find for various TQ seals shows them about flush with the face of the recess for the most part. The TQ pulls forward a fair amount after being seated, a half inch or more if I recall, to re-engage to mount back to the engine. There is only about 5/8 of length on the TQ shaft that will secure the flange of the seal before it narrows a bit for the length of the rest of the shaft. So I am concerned that if it is fully seated that when the TQ comes forward to engage the engine that the seal surface will disengage the flange, but it does not seem like the seal should not be fully seated either. Any thoughts out there?

Check the torque converter snout for where it's cleaner/shinier, that's where the seal was before. I doubt 3/32 is going to be that big of a a deal.

Post a pic of the torque converter snout if you're not sure.

Here is a picture where I show the drive hub and where the portion that is raised near the base engages the lip of the seal. There are some gouges above this portion, but this area is more narrow and does not seem wide enough the engage the seal.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/57P4onN.jpg[/img]

Note: I did pick up a seal from the local dealership and it is thicker than the other seals I bought, including one that I think I got from another online Subaru dealer. This is good - it looks much higher quality and will make up the 3/32 gap that I was concerned about.

I have gouges on the torque converter drive hub (you can see in the pic above). I am thinking that I will need to replace the torque converter, but I need to remove the drive shaft.

How does the drive shaft separate from the torque converter? Has anyone dealt with this that can offer some direction?

Thanks.

Archived