LegacyGT.com

Darren's revamped 2nd gen build thread.

So, I've got the blown EJ22 out of my second gen, my first car, as is the interior. I have a couple options for an engine, I know EJ25's will Bolt in and plug right up, but I have a choice between a 2000 Forester engine, or a '99 Outback engine.

Any differences between the sohc and dohc motors?

And, which should I go for? Both are $200.

Outback engine has 196k if it's the original engine. One of the Foresters has 251k, the other has an unknown amount

All engines are $200

First off, what year is the second gen with the EJ22? That fact alone will dictate what engine you'll get.

Why? Because the Forester engine is a Phase 2 engine, not plug and play with any second gen except for the 99 EJ22. The 99 Outback is a phase 1 engine is plug and play with any second gen, except the 99 EJ22.

The 99 Legacy EJ22 Subaru's transition model. The EJ25 was a frankenmotor with a EJ251 block and internals, but EJ25D heads, so it works with previous years.

As far as differences, there isn't much in the way of differences other than the SOHC and DOHC. They have identical HP/TQ numbers, compression is near identical, etc. It all comes down to what year your second gen is.

+1 Only the '99 OB engine is plug-n-play...but you'll need a dual-port exhaust manifold.

Personally, I WOULD not use that engine unless you know its history of HG repair and the # of times it was probably overheated.

But if you don't mind swapping engines, for $200 it might worth the risk.

BTW, you could take the '97 heads and put them on the '00 251 and create a 'franken engine'. More HP/Torque than either of those 2.5's stock....but requires Premium.

GL,

TD

P.s. only '97-'99 Ej25D/ DOHC engines are P-n-P.

So, the high mile, 2000 SOHC 2.5 is a no go? I thought they were maf sensors, and in 2001 they went to map sensors. I was thinking i may be able to send it to get new bearings into it, and run it as is, with the sohc heads for a while. I have dual port headers I can use, because my daily is a '97 5 speed Outback, with a 1996 MY EJ25D, that i swapped UEL's onto.

I'm confused w/that last comment...run WHAT w/the SOHC heads? And you have a '97 w/a blown EJ22 and a '97 OB w/the '96 EJ25D?

...and no offense, but you're missing the point. ...when you state, "I know EJ25s will bolt-in", your only partially correct as they'll physically FIT, but they won't run due to the electronic differences......the wiring harness, plugs, connectors, sensors, ECUs, TCUs, are all different enough to cause you grief.

Facts:

'99 was a transition year. Only the '99 Legacy OB, GT and SUS w/the EJ25D used Phase 1 electronics, but had a Phase 2 shortblock. The DOHC heads were the same as the '97 and '98 models.

All Foresters, Imprezas AND Legacys w/the EJ222 or EJ253 were Phase 2. (And just in case it comes up, the '97 and '98 EJ22e 'upgrades' were not a Phase change; minor changes to valvetrain, pistons, exhaust, etc, but not Phases.)

MAF sensors were on all Phase 1, '89-'98/'99, and Phase 2 '99, 2005+ EJ253 - BUT MAFs (nor anything else) are not interchangeable between Phases; '00-'04 EJ251 are MAP. (I don't know what the new FB/FA series use.)

Your '97 is a Phase 1. You cannot easily swap between Phases...is the simple answer.

As stated, the only interchange that I'm aware of is to put the '97's EJ22 SOHC heads, and Intake Manifold (w/the '97 wiring harness attached) on the '00 Forester EJ251 shortblock. You'll need a special/specific Cometic HG to make that work.

The intake manifolds (IM) will not swap between Phases either.....it won't physically bolt-up. And you probably know that the Phase 1 SoHC and DOHC IM's won't interchange either.

Please go do some more reading on other sites: USMB, NASIOC, Subaruforester.org, etc if still not clear. All covered there multiple times, too.

Good luck,

TD

I was saying, drop the whole engine in, none of this swapping heads around and shit. So, my best bet would be to get the EJ25D out of the 1999 outback, to drop in and run on the stock EJ22 ecu and harness?

And, the sohc heads, I was referring to the engines in the 2000 and 2001 foresters.

The ball joint is sized in the knuckle. Any tips on removing it? It's a junkyard knuckle, because the one that WAS on the car broke.

http://upload.vstanced.com/images/2017/07/24/h4V.jpg

I was saying, drop the whole engine in, none of this swapping heads around and shit. So, my best bet would be to get the EJ25D out of the 1999 outback, to drop in and run on the stock EJ22 ecu and harness?

And, the sohc heads, I was referring to the engines in the 2000 and 2001 foresters.

What TD is trying to tell you is that in order for the EJ251 to work in your current car, you need to swap the heads and intake.

The 251 uses different intake and top end electronics. The plugs for the engine are different. This is the same thing I said before.

Go with the 99 Outback 2.5, it will work plug and play with your existing ECU and harness.

What TD was also referring to was to take your EJ22 heads and intake (or buy both motors since they're a low cost and take the EJ25 heads and intake) and put it on the EJ251 motor. Unless you get the complete donor car with ECU and bulkhead harness, then perform a wire merge, the EJ251 will not work in its current form. Phase 2 engines will not communicate with Phase 1 electronics. They will physically bolt up, but the engine wiring harness will not plug into the bulkhead harness.

The ball joint is sized in the knuckle. Any tips on removing it? It's a junkyard knuckle, because the one that WAS on the car broke

Take equal parts of acetone and ATF, mix thoroughly in a spray bottle and lambaste that sucker with it. Let sit overnight, then try to remove it.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you Setnev. That clears it up. I'm glad I didn't just pull the proverbial trigger on one of the Foz motors.

Onto another question. I'm converting all my lights to LED's. I already have the 4 large bulbs replaced, and know the other 3 "medium" sized ones are #74 bulbs.

But, what about the miniscule ones? Like for the CEL, ABS, etc? I cant seem to find ANYTHING about them online!

http://upload.vstanced.com/images/2017/08/25/hx9.jpg

Archived