LegacyGT.com

Hey guys, could use some advice on my 05 Legacy GT!

Hey guys new to the community here. I have a 05 Subaru legacy GT that I'm using to sort of learn about cars as I work on it basically. I still don't know much, just learned how to change the oil a few weeks ago. But I have a little more money to throw at it and have some ideas for what I want to do next but I could use some guidance first.

It's an automatic but I want to swap it out for a manual transmission, is this viable for me to do on my own? I have access to a lift but I'm just not sure how big of a project that really is. Besides that I'm mostly looking for upgrades that'll increase the cars longevity, but I have the time and resources for performance upgrades as well. Would appreciate feedback on what you would do!

Welcome.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

The tranny sway is a major deal. there is a thread here where I believe someone figured out last year how to get CC to work.

You'll want to remove the cat from the up pipe. Buy a catless up pipe

install a 3" catted down pipe.

get a cobb Ap and a custom tune for your car

learn how to check the oil and always keep it topped off, a little over is better then a little low.

checking the oil, I drive to work, park on level ground, pull the dip stick, lay it on the intake manifold, loosen the oil fill cap,close hood, go to work. after work check the oil

clean the MAF snesor with Maf sensor cleaner, I do it once a year

replace the lower engine grounds from both heads to chassis

read the sticky's at the tops of the forums.

That should keep you busy and teach you a lot.

Ask us before you spend your money.

Make a list of things you want and put cost with it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Welcome.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

The tranny sway is a major deal. there is a thread here where I believe someone figured out last year how to get CC to work.

You'll want to remove the cat from the up pipe. Buy a catless up pipe

install a 3" catted down pipe.

get a cobb Ap and a custom tune for your car

learn how to check the oil and always keep it topped off, a little over is better then a little low.

checking the oil, I drive to work, park on level ground, pull the dip stick, lay it on the intake manifold, loosen the oil fill cap,close hood, go to work. after work check the oil

clean the MAF snesor with Maf sensor cleaner, I do it once a year

replace the lower engine grounds from both heads to chassis

read the sticky's at the tops of the forums.

That should keep you busy and teach you a lot.

Ask us before you spend your money.

Make a list of things you want and put cost with it.

These are all great things. I've slowly been learning too but it is more from when stuff needs to be replaced.

From what I've heard, a rear sway bar is a great way to improve handling (it game with my 05 lgt). and ill post a list of everything that has been done to my car over the last few years by myself and the previous owner

This is everything that has been done to the car since it was new.

I have rims for it that I am sanding and repainting (18")

Looking to try and save for coilovers next for a lowered stance and even better handling.

Also looking at other bits to improve handling.

Here is the list of stuff

Upgrades Include:

-Cobb V3 accessport

- gutted downpipe

- Custom exhaust with 3" piping (Partial, Finishing when i have money)

-- --- resonator and cat delete - can actually hear the exhaust now - was super quite before

-BRAND NEW EXEDY STAGE 1 CLUTCH - $800 - car had one when i got it but it needed to be replaced about 2 months ago

-Lightweight flywheel for faster throttle response

-Short-throw shifter - Kartboy

-Perrin 25mm solid rear sway bar with Kartboy endlinks - flatter cornering and neutral steering (removes understeer)

-Stainless steel brake lines - great brake pedal feel (very linear - not spongy like the stock rubber lines)

-Aftermarket Aux-input so you can play music off phone or iPod (stock has no auxiliary input)

-Boost gauge hidden in center console

Major Repairs:

Clutch & Flywheel - 133000

Passenger front wheel bearing - 133000

Left Front Wheel Bearing - 88670

Left Rear Wheel Bearing covered under recall warranty - 97849

Right Front Wheel Bearing - 105623

Rebuilt Transmission - 108053

Valve cover gasket, timing belt, serpentine belt, power steering belt - 121712

Replaced faulty transmission bearing - 126659

Replaced leaking steering rack - 130000

Archived