LegacyGT.com

Electrical Problems... Bad Battery or Alternator?

Taking out the brushes would be a huge pain in the butt in my opinion, I just did that on my old alternator.

I would take a look at the pictures I posted above, how you can sort of see numbers on the front of the brushes, and use that to gauge how worn your brushes are.

I'm all for component-level troubleshooting, but with alternators it generally isn't worth it. The voltage regulators are often encapsulated and non-serviceable, and if the brushes or commutators are worn out, the bearings aren't far behind in my experience. Oftentimes one of the diodes is whipped too. This can be seen if you put a 'scope to the alternator output. In all cases, I'd replace the whole unit. I've had good luck with rebuilds myself.

Aftermarket alternators are hit or miss. Sometimes it takes 2 to get one that works properly. I suggest you go to Advance auto parts and buy a Carquest alternator. If it's bad, you can go back and replace it. If it's good, you can drive your car to the store and get your core charge refund. Basically it boils down to convenience if an issue arises. Advance lists an alt for ~$25 more.

I've used Remy and Carquest alternators the most and have seen the least amount of issues out of the box.

Aftermarket alternators are hit or miss. Sometimes it takes 2 to get one that works properly. I suggest you go to Advance auto parts and buy a Carquest alternator. If it's bad, you can go back and replace it. If it's good, you can drive your car to the store and get your core charge refund. Basically it boils down to convenience if an issue arises. Advance lists an alt for ~$25 more.

I've used Remy and Carquest alternators the most and have seen the least amount of issues out of the box.

How exactly do the core refunds work? Do I get a refund for giving them the old alternator currently on my car?

Check out NAPA parts on line, you can place the order on line and pick it up at the local store and save a little money.

I have to agree, its much better to buy local...if you have a problem with the part, my local NAPA store can have a replacement in 2 hours.

If you go mail order and the part is bad...can you get a replacement that fast ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Bought a new alt and replaced it in the parking lot of Advance Auto. Seems to have fixed the problem, and I was able to return the old one right away. Electrical system is running well!

Only trouble now is I think I may have an exhaust leak around the headers or uppipe... I'm only getting 14-15 mpg. One problem solved... another one to take it's place. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Archived