LegacyGT.com

Tuning questions

I have a 2005 Subary Legacy GT with a catted downpipe, catless uppipe, and a Greddy exhaust. I went to the mechanic and he said I do not have a cat where it should be. So I am catless right before the catback exhaust. I am putting in a new short block in a month and I do not want to screw that up. Will this exhaust and my SPT intake be okay for a stage 1+ tune from COBB. Or am I restricted to a stage 2 tune. My problem is that I dont want to screw up the new block that I am about to put in there.

Thanks.

Stage 2 is appropriate if you have an aftermarket downpipe.

The stock car for 2005 originally had three cats. I am a little unsure what the mechanic meant saying you are missing a cat. You are not stock any more, so what exactly does he think is wrong? I guess he means you shouldn't run stage 1 with the setup you have. That's correct.

You don't have the original catted uppipe. You have only one high flow cat downstream from the turbo instead of two cats that were stock. You should pass emissions unless you have to pass visual in a strict state. Your rear O2 sensor will go in downstream of the high flow cat. Not sure what the problem is.

Stage 2 is appropriate if you have an aftermarket downpipe.

The stock car for 2005 originally had three cats. I am a little unsure what the mechanic meant saying you are missing a cat. You are not stock any more, so what exactly does he think is wrong? I guess he means you shouldn't run stage 1 with the setup you have. That's correct.

You don't have the original catted uppipe. You have only one high flow cat downstream from the turbo instead of two cats that were stock. You should pass emissions unless you have to pass visual in a strict state. Your rear O2 sensor will go in downstream of the high flow cat. Not sure what the problem is.

Here in Ohio or my area at least they were anal about the STi (SUBARU STAMPED) up pipe w/o cat. I ended up out of state registering it since I was not about to place a liability back on the car while it is already 3 turbos and 2 short blocks in at the moment. Some counties do not test but I don't live in/near any of them.

Any word, OP? You should consider not using the SPT intake and going with the stock intake instead. The SPT intake is one of the "upgrades" that doesn't improve performance and can actually cause problems.

Archived