LegacyGT.com

Weird clicking sound coming from transmission area when idle + in power

I have a 2.5i Legacy, and when I'm idling, I get a weird sound, sort of like a piece of metal slapping a rotating object.

It's very soft and not loud, when I gas the car, until 2000 rpm, the click gets louder then goes away.

I have a feeling that it is the torque converter, anyone else have this sound? I've heard it on other Outbacks and Legacy's as well, some are worst, whilst others are less obvious.

Basically it sounds like a loose bolt inside the fins of the torque converter or something that's being sloshed around.

Ironically, I get no loss in power or any issues, just this annoyance.

I have a 2.5i Legacy, and when I'm idling, I get a weird sound, sort of like a piece of metal slapping a rotating object.

It's very soft and not loud, when I gas the car, until 2000 rpm, the click gets louder then goes away.

I have a feeling that it is the torque converter, anyone else have this sound? I've heard it on other Outbacks and Legacy's as well, some are worst, whilst others are less obvious.

Basically it sounds like a loose bolt inside the fins of the torque converter or something that's being sloshed around.

Ironically, I get no loss in power or any issues, just this annoyance.

My car just emits one single clicking sound when I'm going slow or stopped and hit the gas. It sounds like to small metal pipes hitting each other softly. I'm not sure what it is or if it happens to be the same issue as yours, but it had made the noise since I got the car at 70K miles and have never had an issue and I'm now at 99K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same in Legacy GT 5AT. It might be from exhaust. When engine is in low rpm there are more vibrations therefore it makes the noise.

I have also noticed it's more often and a bit louder when AC is on...

Archived