LegacyGT.com

2009 2.5i Exhaust Manifold Options

I installed the Eastern Catalytic 40905 in my 08 2.5i a few months ago. It worked without issue. The heat shield is welded on and is much smaller than the OEM that covers 12" of the pipe up and down each side of the cat. I didn't bother trying to move the OEM heat shield to the new cat since that sheetmetal is prone to developing rattles anyway.

As for the question re the Mid-Pipe are you talking about the y-pipe?

As for the y-pipe that goes under the rear diff to the two mufflers... I think that it is nearly impossible to find an aftermarket complete y-pipe that is OEM fitment that is proper for the 2.5i sedan. I ordered two different aftermarket y-pipes for the 08 2.5i and both of them hung at least 1" too low under the rear diff. I am pretty certain this will be the case with any aftermarket y-pipe designed to fit the as-stock setup. I am pretty sure the reason is that these y-pipes are designed to fit both the legacy and the outback and with the outback suspension being ~2+" taller I think the issue is that the outback rear suspension and diff is mounted about an inch lower than in the legacy sedan. The much lower y-pipe where it crossed under the rear diff on the legacy sedan was unacceptable to me so I returned both of them. I ended up welding the crack in the stock y-pipe and putting it back in service.

Archived