LegacyGT.com

In need of assistance 2005 Subaru Legacy GT

My Legacy bought it 2 months ago is experiencing massive oil loss and burning and one cylinder is at 25% compression while the rest are normal . Is a short block necessary. And if so should I go forged. This is my daily driver

A ej257 short block is the best way to go. My stock ej257 is still running strong 90,000 + miles later.

Read my click here link in my sig.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do you plan on any further upgrades? In my opinion forged only really makes sense (cost that is) if your going bigger on the turbo. The factory shortblock is pretty stout up to stage 2 with a healthy tune.

If you can be happy with 330whp the stock ej257 should be enough.

My wagon dyno'ed at 280whp, on a true reading Mustang dyno. The car is a blast to drive and has been a great DD for over 90,000 miles now. The car should run a high 12 second 1/4 mile or close to it.

I don't see why people think they need 350whp in one of these cars as a DD.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My Legacy bought it 2 months ago is experiencing massive oil loss and burning and one cylinder is at 25% compression while the rest are normal . Is a short block necessary. And if so should I go forged. This is my daily driver

I would not recommend forged for a daily driver

A ej257 short block is the best way to go. My stock ej257 is still running strong 90,000 + miles later.

Read my click here link in my sig.

This ^^^^^

I want to keep the turbo . Don't want to go bigger. I mean eventually I want to get my car to 350 whp. I just don't want this issue to come up again

A proper tune will prevent it from happening. 350whp is the breaking point on the stock block. It's also the breaking point on a lot of other components in the car. 300-320whp is a safer place to be at and you probably won't notice the difference.

Does the EJ255 short block that ran from 2007-2009 fit into my 2005 Subaru Legacy.

Short block yes. Long block I don't think so.

I think I'm going to stick to the ej255 stock block. Small tune maybe get it up to 300whp. Thanks for all the help though . In a couple years im going to get another daily and just garage this one . Thanks a lot everyone !!! I just hope it lasts me at least 1 year .

I think I'm going to stick to the ej255 stock block. Small tune maybe get it up to 300whp. Thanks for all the help though . In a couple years im going to get another daily and just garage this one . Thanks a lot everyone !!! I just hope it lasts me at least 1 year .

What does the car have for parts now? Stage 2 cars require at least an up-pipe & down-pipe + tune (18-20 PSI) - and don't hit 300 awhp:redface:

To get there you'll need a bigger turbo - Max and I (+plenty of others) run a VF52 - but it typically also requires other components like TMIC and exhaust - plus at least an after market fuel pump - and some say injectors although that's really just to ensure your not getting too close to 100% injector duty cycle:wub:

Basically if your starting out stock it's not just a simple tune....;):p

Archived