LegacyGT.com

2005 Coolant Leak front Passenger side

Started the car up this morning, moved the car in front of it out of the way to head to work. When I was walking back to the subie I noticed it was dripping fluid. I checked underneath.

Coolant was dripping down the timing cover onto the manifold at about 2 drops/sec. Going to inspect the hoses later today... anything I should be aware of/check for?

The radiators on these cars tend to develop cracks and splits when they get older. These can be hard to see unless you look very closely. Get a good flashlight and check over the radiator and hoses while the car is idling at normal operating temperature. The hose connections and the seams where the end tanks are joined to the main body of the radiator are possible leak spots.

I wouldnt assume that it's radiator with the location you describe but coolant has a way of traveling far from the source so don't rule anything out. Mrs. Spif's 05 actually had the mount peg nearly broken off under the air snorkel and was leaking all around the top rim making it look like the tank was separating from the core.

Check all the hoses, if one is bad, then it's likely more will need to be replaced. 3 small hoses and 1 fat hose (t-stat to rad) underneath the car, then 3 hoses on top (2 from the fill reservoir, 1 fat one to the block). Check it while it's running on jacks, you should be able to spot the source of the leak. If it's coming from inside the timing cover then it's the water pump.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived