LegacyGT.com

Oil Pickup design

I just picked up from the dealer an oil pickup.

I also have one out of a spare engine.

My question/problem is that they are different. The one the dealer gave me for my 95 ej22 is a tube with a round end capped with screen. The one I have from the spare engine also an ej22 is mostly the same, but it has a brace that runs to one of the windage tray bolts.

So did the dealer give me a wrong part, or is that spare a newer engine that added a brace? The ones I see online all have a brace, but they don't have solid info on whether they cross from ej25 to ej22.

I got rained out so I don't know what the pickup currently installed looks like. I'm pretty sure I want to run one with a brace given all the talk about them cracking, but only if it is a correct fit.

Newer ones added a brace. The old ones used to crack from normal sloshing back and forth and cause terminal oil starvation. In fact, Killer B Motorsports was the first one (that I know of) to offer a revised and braced oil pickup tube for the EJ series motors. The fact that Subaru caught on to this revision makes it seem like they were definitely listening.

So the ej25 braced pickup is a fit in the ej22 as far as gap to the bottom of the sump and bolt pattern?

I'll put in my braced unit, and then when I build the motor that donated it I'll either get an after market, or tell the dealer I have a newer car so I get the right thing.

Thanks.

Newer ones added a brace. The old ones used to crack from normal sloshing back and forth and cause terminal oil starvation. In fact, Killer B Motorsports was the first one (that I know of) to offer a revised and braced oil pickup tube for the EJ series motors. The fact that Subaru caught on to this revision makes it seem like they were definitely listening.

interesting.

so what years did they add the brace?

The mounting style looks hit or miss on all EJ's alike. I have found no brace in the older EJ22's up to early 95, when it looks like they switched to this style:

http://i.imgur.com/RjtRktJ.jpg

Then in 98 they switched to this:

http://i.imgur.com/Pzs0odF.jpg

Twisty's pic looks like the spare I took out.

Setnev's top diagram part 16 is what I bought.

I don't know what's in my daily until I get in there, but I think mine is a mid 95 build. Perhaps it has that other crap in there to brace it, or perhaps not. It's been near on 10 years since I've had the pan off.

I hope what I'm having is pickup leak, but it's probably worn bearings given how I drive. ;)

Bad news is there doesn't seem to be any problem with my pickup.

Looks like the reason for my low pressure starts was the drain back having a bad seal (item 17 in the diagram) so that the system could empty out while sitting.

So I don't know if 100k+ of low pressure starts or 100k of my driving is the problem, but my low idle pressure is probably here to stay.

Archived