LegacyGT.com

Perrin Engine and Transmission Mounts - Review

This forum's got a long history of recommending Group-N motor and transmission mounts over Perrin, but I've yet to find an actual review here. So, I bought the Perrin engine mounts, transmission mount, and pitch stop, had them installed, and drove on them. Here are my thoughts.

The mounts are still new, so I'll be keeping this thread updated as they break in.

Installation:

I didn't actually do the install here, so I can't say if they're any more difficult than the Group-N. From what I've read, they're a more difficult initial install but they make it easier to pull your engine later if need be.

Feel:

These mounts have solved my two biggest problems with my Legacy. First, I came out of a Miata before this, so the Legacy always felt isolated from the road. Not any more. The car feels really connected. Before the install, I'd sometimes try to downshift to pass on the highway only to realize I'd been in 4th for miles. Not any more, these mounts really let you feel what's going on.

Second, my Legacy has always had a vague shifter. Maybe it's because I bought the car with 125,000 miles on it, but it never really liked to go into first or fifth gear. It felt rubbery, disconnected. Now, it feels like I'm reaching straight into the transmission to change gears. Everything is direct, shifts feel amazing.

Another thing these mounts improved is throttle response. Granted, my stock mounts were shot, but you can really feel the engine moving around less in the engine bay. My throttle input goes straight into the engine and to the ground.

Also, my car starts faster now. So, that's nice, I guess.

Noise:

There's no question, these mounts are louder than stock. However, they're not going to make you go deaf on a highway trip. I have a stock catback, but if I had an aftermarket one I doubt I'd notice the noise from the mounts at all. They're genuinely surprisingly quiet. The noise that's there, though, is a welcome change. I've been in cars with the Group-N mounts, and I drove my stock ones for nearly a year. The noise on these is louder than either of those, but not unreasonably so. You may notice the difference if you've got a stock or similarly quiet exhaust, but anything louder than that will entirely drown the mounts out.

Vibration:

Above about 2000 RPM, there's not much of a change. Below that, though, you're definitely going to notice. It won't shake your teeth loose, but the vibration is definitely not something you're going to tune out. You're also going to feel your AC compressor a lot more. It was in the high 80s yesterday, and with my AC blasting at a stop light I had a passenger tell me "It's like your car has a massage chair." Hey, Cadillac charges extra for that, right? Now, these mounts are 100% not broken in yet, and these are supposed to soften up over a few thousand miles. This is the aspect I expect to change most by then.

Harshness:

The common view of these mounts I've heard on this forum is that they're almost solid, meant for NASIOC people who don't mind an uncomfortable ride. That's just plain untrue. These mounts have a lot more feel, true, but I wouldn't call them harsh. They're harsher than stock or Group N, sure. But just outright harsh? No. These are honestly less harsh than some brand-new economy cars I've driven. This is a subjective rating, I know, and everyone's threshold for harshness (and NVH in general) is different. But if you're afraid of NVH, don't necessarily write these off.

OVER ALL

Pros:

• Better feel through pedals and transmission
  • Shifts are smooth and easy
  • Better feeling of connection to the car
  • Massage chair kinda nice after a long day at work
  • Someday, my car will rot away to nothing due to New England rust and these mounts will be the only things left

Cons:

• Louder than stock, and don't seem to harmonize well with any of my music
  • AC compressor may start to feel like a small earthquake when turned on
  • This is no longer a luxury station wagon, anyone inside can tell it's been modified

Final Thoughts:

I was hesitant to try these mounts out at first. With everything that's been said on these forums, I almost just went for Group-N and called it a day, But, I wanted to see if they were really as bad as everyone said, and I'm so glad I did. Having driven them, I'd pick them any day of the week over the Group-N. Once they break in, they should only get better. 8/10

Any questions anyone's got about the mounts, feel free to ask. I'll keep adding to this review as they break in.

500 Mile Update

I don't know if they've broken in, or I've just gotten used to them, but the mounts feel smoother now. My new clutch (installed with the mounts) is finally broken in so I can see how they feel above 4k rpm.

The verdict?

This is what I wanted the car to feel like from day 1. The throttle response, the feel of the engine, the smoothness of the shifts. Everything just feels so direct, so connected. It's hard to describe in text, but it's exactly what I hoped the car would feel like from the start.

I don't think people told you they were bad. Just that they were not what they wanted. You wanted to be different, congratulations.

I have another car with very firm suspension, loud exhaust, lots of noise and vibration, etc. The LGT is a daily driver and touring car for me. I like it that way.

I don't think people told you they were bad. Just that they were not what they wanted. You wanted to be different, congratulations.

I have another car with very firm suspension, loud exhaust, lots of noise and vibration, etc. The LGT is a daily driver and touring car for me. I like it that way.

Sorry, I didn't really mean "bad", but I felt like I'd used "harsh" too much already. This is my daily driver too, and I feel like these mounts are actually a lot softer and more reasonable than people give them credit for.

• Moderators
Sorry, I didn't really mean "bad", but I felt like I'd used "harsh" too much already. This is my daily driver too, and I feel like these mounts are actually a lot softer and more reasonable than people give them credit for.

This is no longer a luxury station wagon, anyone inside can tell it's been modified

^^that doesn't sound very soft...

The groupN mounts seem to tighten things up without excessive NVH unless you also do the pitch stop. Most reports with the GroupN stuff seems to be that they are very reasonable for a daily driver unless an aftermarket pitch stop is added. Honestly though, I wouldn't know--never got them installed.

Nice review though, thanks!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

^^that doesn't sound very soft...

Nice review though, thanks!

I mean, it's definitely noticeable as not stock, but not so aggressive that it's un-daily-able. Though, I can understand why it's not for everyone. If I were older, had a bad back, anything like that, I definitely don't think I'd want these. I can see both sides.

Also, thanks! I'm new to this, so I'm glad I did it right.

I have group N with aftermarket pitch stop. It stiffened things up, but not rattle your teeth. Other changes did that.

M Sprank commented on having too much NVH in the engine mount can rattle things loose. Something to consider over time. You might have to check connections more often, unless everything is rusted in place.

Archived