LegacyGT.com

Finally a Map Update

Just finished downloading the latest map software (2017/2018) for both my 15 Legacy and my 17 Forester (they come with 2016/2017 maps). Very simple process and easy to do. Took about 10 minutes to download and install on the existing SD card. The 17 was FREE and my 15 cost me $54. I moved into a brand new community that wasn't on the 2016 maps and, now with the upgrade, my new street shows up:icon_chee

I've been trying to update the maps on mine with no luck. When I check the map version it shows the base map to be 2012.03 and the state maps are 2013.Q3

But when I use the tool box the available updates button is greyed out. If I try to purchase, it shows only the 2016/17 at a price of $100+

I thought our navs came with 3 free updates over a 3 year period from first date of service (which in my case is Oct-2015). The previous owner obviously did not update it, so the possibility of the 3 updates being used is ruled out. I've contacted SOA, Here maps and each point at the other or NNG to resolve it.... NNG basically said I don't have any updates available..

Anyone else have this happen? Is my assumption of the 3 free updates incorrect?

The 2016 does come with 3-years of free map updates. You must be doing something wrong if it's grayed out. Do you have your SD card plugged into your computer so the website can read it?

Yep. SD card is plugged in and tool box recognizes it. It shows the serial# and all the other options. Only the available updates button is grayed out. After going back and forth with NNG for a 2 weeks, they looked at the licenses folder and said I don't have any free updates.

Back with SOA to see what they can do..

• 1 month later...
If you ever find yourself in an area without cell service you'll wish you had an in-car NAV;)

Google Maps lets you download maps for offline use. Even suggests it when going over the route and detects a low coverage area.

There isn't a need for in car Nav anymore.

Perhaps I am confused. I thought the map update was just a map update (meaning new streets, POIs, etc.) and not mapping software which would do things like better routing calculations, or other software things..

Anyway, I did figure out that you hit map button then more then help then about then more then page down to maps.. this show the map level.

For me this shows 2016q3 for all states. I am assuming that;s what I should see after this update.

The mapping software update IS the map...you appear confused.....

Your NAV has all of the firmware built in for routing options, etc and this will never change unless they do an update for the head unit firmware that has modifications built into the update which rarely occur. A head unit update typically fixes a "bug" or bugs and do not add any additional features. However, the last update did add the ability to mute the voice when using the NAV by simply pressing a soft button on the bottom of the menu screen that wasn't there prior to the update when I did my 2015 to 2017. A map update is just that...ONLY maps and new POI's...nothing related to routing options.

Archived