LegacyGT.com

5EAT Opinions?

I have the 06 with the 5eat it's okay. But the shifting is a little slow and long also it's boggy off the start. 5.7 0-60 at 3000 ft around 87 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little boggy is an understatement :lol: Are you stock? That looks like a good 0 - 60 with a 5EAT, especially if it's stock and no brake boosting.

I just let it shift on it's own. I've never really tried the manual up/down with the shift lever. I'd expect the same level of responsiveness when using the up/down shifter as well since they are both basically electronic switches for the driver input.

I pretty much drive my 07 in manual mode, usually S#. Manual is quicker when you need that boost to kick in since you can keep in the RPM range. Just mashing the gas in full auto mode is far slower and takes longer to get the turbo spooled vs a downshift and some gas.

A little boggy is an understatement :lol: Are you stock? That looks like a good 0 - 60 with a 5EAT, especially if it's stock and no brake boosting.

I pretty much drive my 07 in manual mode, usually S#. Manual is quicker when you need that boost to kick in since you can keep in the RPM range. Just mashing the gas in full auto mode is far slower and takes longer to get the turbo spooled vs a downshift and some gas.

Not only is this true, but while monitoring my APv3 I noticed that sometimes it doesn't want to downshift in auto mode, so pressing the go pedal to pass while cruising just lugs the motor if I don't intervene to downshift. As I understand, that is bad for the motor.

This is about how I use the manual mode also. A quick downshift is nice when you need to merge or get around someone quickly, but the slower upshift has never been a real burden. I use the manual mode to hold it in gear also.

Good to know about the Cobb AP Stg1. I was on the fence about it as I didn't know how much affect it would have. Still think I would rather do sway bars first.

Coming from a SpecB, and just back from my first real highway run on the Sea to Sky highway....I'm looking forward to Bilsteins and Pinks. Only 87K on my car but the right rear shock looks a bit damp, and overall is a bit soft feeling. A bit of a floppy feeling straightening out out of the turns.

A tune of some sort to sharpen is perfect for these cars. It just sharpens it up nicely. But where I live, suspension upgrades probably provide more entertainment for the $$.

Coming from a SpecB, and just back from my first real highway run on the Sea to Sky highway....I'm looking forward to Bilsteins and Pinks. Only 87K on my car but the right rear shock looks a bit damp, and overall is a bit soft feeling. A bit of a floppy feeling straightening out out of the turns.

A tune of some sort to sharpen is perfect for these cars. It just sharpens it up nicely. But where I live, suspension upgrades probably provide more entertainment for the $$.

My 3.0R Limited has 109,600 miles so I'm focusing on the suspension too. Just put KSport Kontrol Pro coilovers, Whiteline Ball Joints, and Front Roll Centre Bump Steer Correction Kit on the front end. Next is a Whiteline 22mm front swaybar and a full set of polyurethane bushings. Once the front is squared away I'll do the rear end with the KSport coilovers, a rear Whiteline 20mm swaybar and a box full of poly bushings. I live at the foot of The Catskills so I have an abundance of mountain twisties to drive on so handling is more important than power to me. I put the Cadillac/Brembo front brakes on too. Working on a WRX FHI caliper swap for the rear but it might have to wait until the fall.

As far as the 5EAT goes there are modified shift valve bodies available that supposedly quicken the shifts. One is IPT and another HexMods. There may be others. I have no connection with them and don't have their products installed on my car but maybe someday. I'm 63 years old so my street racer days are over but I do enjoy running the mountain roads quickly and having the car in the right gear at the right time is part of the fun. I use the paddles exclusively and get caught out by the slow upshifts, plus that harsh 2nd-3rd engagement bothers the crap out of me. When I'm ready to take the plunge I'll make some phone calls and find out if their kits will solve my problem.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaru5eat.shtml

https://www.facebook.com/HexMods/

My 3.0R Limited has 109,600 miles so I'm focusing on the suspension too. Just put KSport Kontrol Pro coilovers, Whiteline Ball Joints, and Front Roll Centre Bump Steer Correction Kit on the front end. Next is a Whiteline 22mm front swaybar and a full set of polyurethane bushings. Once the front is squared away I'll do the rear end with the KSport coilovers, a rear Whiteline 20mm swaybar and a box full of poly bushings. I live at the foot of The Catskills so I have an abundance of mountain twisties to drive on so handling is more important than power to me. I put the Cadillac/Brembo front brakes on too. Working on a WRX FHI caliper swap for the rear but it might have to wait until the fall.

As far as the 5EAT goes there are modified shift valve bodies available that supposedly quicken the shifts. One is IPT and another HexMods. There may be others. I have no connection with them and don't have their products installed on my car but maybe someday. I'm 63 years old so my street racer days are over but I do enjoy running the mountain roads quickly and having the car in the right gear at the right time is part of the fun. I use the paddles exclusively and get caught out by the slow upshifts, plus that harsh 2nd-3rd engagement bothers the crap out of me. When I'm ready to take the plunge I'll make some phone calls and find out if their kits will solve my problem.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/subaru5eat.shtml

https://www.facebook.com/HexMods/

I might look into some sways as well, but I'm a bit concerned that the ride quality might suffer too much with those and spring/shocks. But really, the roads here are unbelievable smooth (for Canada) so I could probably get away with it.

In terms of a valve body. I believe (don't quote me on this), that this mod isn't available for the 08-09 transmissions. If so that's fine, but I was curious....if anybody actually needed a trans overhaul, if the full IPT performance transmission from them (presumably for the 05-07) would retrofit into the 08-09. That might be something to consider if somebody was in the position in which their trans was on the way out. At least up here, surely a trans overhaul would be in the 3K ballpark, at least. The IPT performance transmission would be worth the extra bills

In terms of a valve body. I believe (don't quote me on this), that this mod isn't available for the 08-09 transmissions.

I hope you're wrong. I am seriously considering the valve body upgrade. A quick read though leads me to believe it will work on any 5EAT.

• 2 weeks later...
New thought popped into my head... why does the LGT 5EAT have a shift delay for the paddles but the BRZ auto doesn't?

Because the BRZ is such a turd, it can't afford to give up anything and it's such a turd, it can't harm the transmission.

New thought popped into my head... why does the LGT 5EAT have a shift delay for the paddles but the BRZ auto doesn't?

Because the BRZ has a faster ecu and slower engine.

After a VB mod and tweeking a few tables, the 5eat will shift almost instantly when using the buttons.

Because the BRZ has a faster ecu and slower engine.

After a VB mod and tweeking a few tables, the 5eat will shift almost instantly when using the buttons.

For the rookies like me, just what is a VB mod, how does one tweek the tables (a remap?), and where would I get this done?

• 1 month later...
Don't think the author is right - the 09 GT should blip throttle for downshifts. See here (specifically the right column talking about GT auto): http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2009.html#GT

It's saying rev-matching downshift. Perhaps the author meant the 2.5i 4-gear autobox doesn't rev-match.

Well thats a sigh of relief

Well thats a sigh of relief

amm203 is right. It does "blip", or just downshift very stinking fast.... that is in S#. Maybe the author was in intelligent or S.

Keeping your foot on the gas is another factor. If you are off the gas, the downshift are slower than if you are on the gas some.

Upshifts are fast, once they happen. But as mentioned here, there is a slight delay before upshifting.

Archived