LegacyGT.com

Spec.b Engine Knocking

Hey guys.

2008 Spec.b w/ 62K miles

Knocking when engine is warming up with RPM drop

Sounds totally normal when up to temp...

Anyone know if this is piston knock or??

Video below... Maybe you guys have some experience... or this is like ultra common... Or totally, utterly, bad.

Check engine codes: P0011 & P0021

potentially camshaft sensor bad causing pre-ignition... Or oil control valve has failed prompting the sludge alarm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swZ1iC4VMkk&feature=youtu.be

Could be related to the timing belt components, such as tensioners and/or idlers. Have you had timing belt service done recently? Your car is about due since it is 105K miles or 105 months (~8.75 years).

To me, it sounds like the tensioner is going out. It's commonly the first thing to go, and if your timing belt fails you will have expensive engine damage.

could be related to the timing belt components, such as tensioners and/or idlers. Have you had timing belt service done recently? Your car is about due since it is 105k miles or 105 months (~8.75 years).

To me, it sounds like the tensioner is going out. It's commonly the first thing to go, and if your timing belt fails you will have expensive engine damage.

x2.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

08's normally don't throw those codes.

I couple short miles oil changes would be a good idea, after checking the OCV's.

See if you can find out how the car was driven. Was it just for short trips, a couple miles and then shut off, or were they long highway miles.

These cars don't like to be driven for short distance and shut off.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The reason I suggested the timing belt service was because of the noise and the way you described it. Bad OCVs would not cause that noise. The codes may be related, or may be something else. Here is an excerpt from the Factory Service Manual re: P0011 --

Inspect the following items and repair or replace if necessary.

• Engine oil (amount, contamination)

• Oil pipe (clog)

• Oil flow control solenoid valve (clog or contamination in oil passage, settling at spring, stuck at valve)

• Intake camshaft (sludge, damage at camshaft)

• Timing belt (timing mark aligning)

You probably don't need to replace the OCVs, just inspect them and clean them.

IMHO, an engine flush is usually a bad idea. The cons are you could dislodge crud that gets stuck somewhere else in the engine and you may encourage old seals to start leaking. Just use clean oil and filter and change it more frequently a few times.

If you are willing to invest in a smartphone app called BtSSM, you can see your variable valve timing data displayed in real-time. You can find it on Google Play.

This forum is awesome! (BTW I'm new here)

I think it's two separate issues. The timing belt causing the noise, and the oil or OCV's going bad and tripping the codes...

I don't know what a failing timing belt sounds like, but I hella trust you guys.

I picked up a new OCV to replace the passenger side one from the dealer today if necessary.

I have Automatic, the plug in computer that lets you clear codes on your phone app.

I'm flying to Portland from Bend (oregon) on Saturday to pick it up (well, test drive and likely absolutely get it).

Plan is: Get full synthetic oil change from a quick lube in PDX. Clear codes via app... Drive it the 160 miles home. Do another engine oil change with Amsoil 5w-30 + engine flush, idle for 15 minutes, drain, re-fill with Amsoil.

I guess maybe I shouldn't do the engine flush if the codes don't blow on the way home?

Full timing belt overhaul: Tensioners, idlers, H2o pump, etc scheduled for next week (Hopefully the belt doesn't blow on the way home).

Also the banjo filter bolts... inspect/clean/replace?

I wish someone would take a photo of a spec.b engine and draw arrows to these components. I've had (shockingly) carp luck with google and good images.

What do you think of my plan?

Original owner had it for 55k. No history

Seller bought it in 2013 for 22K

Always let it warm up, never rally'd it. Never drag raced.

Only put 7000K miles on it in 4 years. Wasn't a daily driver: Wanted to keep it low miles because it's such a rare Subaru. Did regular oil changes with full synthetic rotella 5w-30 very cognizant of the turbo... Never parked under trees (sap)...

Now all the issues, small child, buying house, etc... Reason for selling.

I'm thinking timing belt overhaul and a few oil changes and maybe OCV replace and we're good...

banjo filters ,

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2834394

you'll want this too,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

These cars don't do well idling to warm up, not a good thing. Start it and drive it.

Here's a video of the knocking/ticking. None at idle. Increase with RPM. The vid goes from 0 to 3K RPM's up and down to idle.

Sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the engine.

Cleared all CEL codes before leaving. Oil was full and CLEAN!

No codes tripped on the 160 mile journey home. Oil still full and clean after said 160 miles..

So any ideas? How completely F'ed am I?

So check this:

Cold start: NO KNOCK

Sounds normal until temp reaches 1/4 up, then the knock becomes audible at idle... Didn't bring it up to full temp because I'm worried about ruining it more... Was just moving the car.

So: Cold start no noise. Knock audible at idle at 1/4 temp. Operating temp no knock at idle, loud at low RPM and quieter at high...

Who wants to start placing bets?

More back story: I'm the third owner. First was questionable. 2nd said when he bought it they knew it had some sort of mechanical issue but it was fine for now. In 2014 he took it to a dealer because of the faint "knock". They said it was fine to drive but would cost $1000 to diagnose because, dealer.

He drove it 2000 miles between then and now.

Car goes into the professionals Tuesday.

Hoping for good news. Budgeting for bad.

Sounds too fast to be rod knock but I wouldn't keep running the engine like that. Could possibly be piston slap but I would definitely check the tensioner by taking off timing cover on driver side and prying the tensioner down. If knock goes away you found your problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Took it to the mechanic last night Knowing this isn't a DIY job. He's never seen anything like it before. Taking the engine apart today. Potentially a lifter hitting, or a valve. Thing is, the car drives smooth. So will see what happens....

But yeah. New engine here we come. I'll likely have the lowest mileage spec.b in existence after this whole thing is over.

Bought the car knowing the engine might be toast. Price tag reflected that.

Anything can be fixed.

Just make sure he uses the right parts putting things back together.

There are some items we recommend be replaced bases on age. They may end up costing 5-600 but in the long run...you'll get the payback.

• 1 month later...

I too have a 2008 Spec B and despite what max said, I had both P0011 and P0021 codes and I was minutes away from spinning a bearing. So if my experience means anything I would say that is 100% rod knock from oil contamination.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but thats my bet :eek:

EDIT: just saw your update, my car also drove perfectly fine even with the codes but I knew something was wrong. Like what Darth said, drain the oil, the metal was pretty hard to see in the drain pan but look inside the oil filter under some light and you should be able to see the glitter.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Ass hat that sold me the car rebuilt the engine... twice... Both were shit re-builds. They put in the wrong size pistons.

So, sent the block off for rebuild, then did the air pump delete... Which required a tune so off the cliff we went... ended up doing the following;

Stock Rebuilt EJ255 Spec B w/ race bearings by Outfront motorsports.

Stock heads

Custom VF52 20g PNP and Powder coated with upgraded 1bar/14psi wastegate by SoCal porting

Modified stock TGV Deletes PNP

Process West Vert Mount TMIC

GFB Mach 2 Recirculating valve

Invidia Downpipe Catted Divorced Wastegate

Invidia headers/up pipe

Invidia Q300 Catback Exhaust

Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Radiator

Mishimoto Radiator Hose Kit Black

COBB Top Feed 1050x Fuel Injectors

COBB Silicone Turbo Inlet

COBB SF intake system

COBB SF Airbox

COBB 3-Port Boost Control Solenoid

AEM High Flow Fuel Pump

Grimspeed Phenolic spacers 8mm

NGK spark plugs

Just waiting on the turbo and TGV delete to come back from so cal porting.. then a tune from clark tuning...

this is going to be the sickest Spec.b out there. Brand spanking new with 62K chassis miles..

I'm keeping this thing forever

I too have a 2008 Spec B and despite what max said, I had both P0011 and P0021 codes and I was minutes away from spinning a bearing. So if my experience means anything I would say that is 100% rod knock from oil contamination.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but thats my bet :eek:

EDIT: just saw your update, my car also drove perfectly fine even with the codes but I knew something was wrong. Like what Darth said, drain the oil, the metal was pretty hard to see in the drain pan but look inside the oil filter under some light and you should be able to see the glitter.

Your one of the few to have both those codes compared to the large number of us with 05-06's.

;)

Archived