LegacyGT.com

Y Pipe Question

Hi,

The Y pipe on my 05 GT has a leak at the Y and will not pass inspection. The mufflers are potentially still good, but wont know for sure until I take them apart and see if the flanges remain intact.

Question - Are the center/Y pipes from the aftermarket the same size and shape as the OEM? Can I purchase just this pipe from Bosal or others and hook it up to the stock mufflers? Or are they all slightly / significantly different?

I did some searching and couldnt locate an answer, and also had a separate thread about 2 aftermarket systems (ProTune being one of them). The feedback was they are loud, drony and maybe a bit boy racer. My college daughter, who woudl drive this car, doesnt want the extra attention or questions about her femininity around campus.

For the most part no. The only one that I can think of that you can use stock mufflers with is Turbo XS mid and y-pipe. This is what I have and what they advertise. If you search around you can get this pipe for a decent deal new. http://turboxs.com/shop/product.php?id_product=370 The car is a little more raspy with this, as there is no resonator, but even in a car with a lot more on the engine than stock, it's not loud or does it droan.

Also I imagine you can find some West coast mufflers that have no rot fairly cheaply to boot.

My Spec B currently has the stock mufflers bolted to the Pro Lab Tuning mid pipe and Y pipe.

Some day, I'll get around to bolting the Pro Lab mufflers on and getting a Resonator installed in the mid pipe.

The Spec has a Invidia catted DP. If you don't have a 3" Dp you may need the grimmspeed 2X thick gasket as the Pro Lab mid pipe is just a 3" flange.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The Y-pipe joint seems to be a common failure point. It might be possible to have an exhaust shop weld in a repair to your existing pipe. That would keep all your exhaust system parts dimensionally the same.

Oh, yea, I've had the Y pipe welded by my buddies body shop a number of times.

I did just order a Invidia exhaust for the wagon last night, tied of chasing the rusty old custom Y pipe back.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I saw that Y pipe from BarBean but he is in VA and I am in NH. I will look for a perrin. To hold us over, we took several peoples advice and will have the Y welded up. Should have it back tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice.

Archived