LegacyGT.com

Header stud thread stripped in EJ253 head. Helicoil? Other options?

The thread in the EJ253 head where header stud is screwed in got stripped at some point (I blame dealer while installing Tribeca's FSB). They used some regular bolt instead of OEM stud+nut for the header. I got the engine rebuilt recently and found this during the rebuild.

OEM stud is no longer able to stay in the engine head. I've heard that helicoil is one of the solutions for stripped threads. Did anyone use that for similar problem? Is there a different proven solution to this issue?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

You can use that or drill and re-tap the hole for a JIS M10 x 1.25/1.5 stud or chase the existing hole with the same tap to clean up the threads. If the bolt held tight with no leaks its not hurting anything to reuse that fastener either.

You can use that or drill and re-tap the hole for a JIS M10 x 1.25/1.5 stud or chase the existing hole with the same tap to clean up the threads. If the bolt held tight with no leaks its not hurting anything to reuse that fastener either.

I ran a tap on it when the engine was out and it looked like new stud was holding good enough. This was on a cold engine while it was on engine stand in my garage. Apparently it was not enough material left to hold it tight and over 9 months it came loose up to a point where I was able to pull it out by hand from underneath the car. Perhaps vibrations and heat/cold cycle ruined whatever remaining thread was there.

I ordered helicoil M10x1.25 with tool and tap. Will try it this weekend.

Thanks guys.

A heli-coil usually makes for a solid repair. You need to have the right taps for it, though.

That's what internets seems to say. Timesert also comes up a lot but it needs to be flush with the surface and I don't want to take more material out of engine head tbh. So ordered HeliCoil set M10x1.25 with tap and insertion tool, as well as 13/32 drill bit that I surprisingly didn't have.

Will be doing this on weekend, hope it does fix the exhaust leak.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it done last week. Drilled new hole with 13/32 bit, used tap supplied with helicoil set and got new threads cut for helicoil insert. Then screwed in the helicoil and OEM stud went right in. I was able to tighten nut on this stud to 23 pound/feet (OEM spec is 22) without stud moving. Mission accomplished!

Thank you guys!

Archived