LegacyGT.com

Is my 3.6r's suspension dead? or is my trailer hitch too low?

Lately I've been noticing my 96k mile 3.6r is a bit mushy, and I always assumed that it's because of it being a...family sedan. I can't expect it to handle like my sister's '14 A6 with 18k miles...

But even more lately, I've bottomed out my trailer hitch (pretty badly) on big speed humps, dipped driveways, etc. I mean, I thought I broke my car in half.

In reading through some threads, some people are looking to LOWER their car 1.3" using sport springs? I mean, I can't even imagine that....

I guess my question ultimately is...does anyone else have this sort of experience? Are there sportier/stiffer springs/suspension mods that I could do? After market brands that people suggest for the 3.6r?

I swapped out my 2010 springs for '14 3.6R oem springs and new struts. They're noticeably stiffer and, in my opinion, what the car should have had from the factory.

On my stock 2010 springs I used to clunk on driveways and dips and stuff even when I went kinda slow. Now that only happens if I'm going too fast.

Any stiffer springs would be aftermarket. RaceCompEmgineering springs only lower you about one inch but you'd need aftermarket dampeners to go along with those. Koni's and the popular choice.

There is also the option to add a strut-top spacer to raise the car an inch. Those can be had from Subtle Solutions or others.

I swapped out my 2010 springs for '14 3.6R oem springs and new struts. They're noticeably stiffer and, in my opinion, what the car should have had from the factory.

On my stock 2010 springs I used to clunk on driveways and dips and stuff even when I went kinda slow. Now that only happens if I'm going too fast.

Any stiffer springs would be aftermarket. RaceCompEmgineering springs only lower you about one inch but you'd need aftermarket dampeners to go along with those. Koni's and the popular choice.

There is also the option to add a strut-top spacer to raise the car an inch. Those can be had from Subtle Solutions or others.

Your shocks & struts were dead many thousands of miles ago your just bouncing around on the weak springs. Sarang suggestion is the simplest upgrade.

If you don't want to lose ride height, definitely do what these guys have suggested. I guess Subaru realized (after 3 model years) that the springs were too soft and stiffened em up for the 2013-14 models

If you don't want to lose ride height, definitely do what these guys have suggested. I guess Subaru realized (after 3 model years) that the springs AND SHOCKS were too soft and stiffened em up for the 2013-14 models

ftfy.

Whew!...so I'm NOT nuts...thanks guys...I'm pricing out how much it'll cost now. I really appreciate all the input.

I've been looking for performance parts, but it seems that the only real mod you can do is the swaybars, which'll get swapped during the whole suspension overhaul. I figure if you're going to do it...do it right. Mounts, boots, and all. Thanks again everyone.

Speaking of which...is the sway bar part # in the sticky still the best route to go? the 24mm one?

Your 2010 came from the factory with a gimp suspension. The 13-14 is the way to go but for towing what are we talking about here? Canoe, Jet Ski, 5 tons of hay, 30' camper...If your dragging is your stinger dropped to low? On a flat surface the trailer should be level with the vehicle and the tongue not dropped or raised. You may need to look into an air bag that goes inside the rear springs to help when you tow.

Your 2010 came from the factory with a gimp suspension. The 13-14 is the way to go but for towing what are we talking about here? Canoe, Jet Ski, 5 tons of hay, 30' camper...If your dragging is your stinger dropped to low? On a flat surface the trailer should be level with the vehicle and the tongue not dropped or raised. You may need to look into an air bag that goes inside the rear springs to help when you tow.

Hahaha, get this...I don't even have a trailer yet! The receiver itself slams into the ground....some times so hard that I feel like it's going to buckle the car. I know that when I had my lowrider, I buckled the quarter panels while hopping it because it hit the back bumper...

Archived