LegacyGT.com

Turbo back LGT, cai, about to tune.

Mintoneowner

Hey folks,

Just got invidia turbo back, Cobb cai, gs uppipe on my 09. I haven't installed the parts, I'm going to get the ap3 then I have talked to a few tuners around the area.

I'm keeping this car as a daily, and need it reliable. Basically, want to have it tuned and run pump gas, and keep it worry free even if it's not the quickest thing out there.

My question is what would be the next step to bump up the performance? I don't want to swap turbos until stuff breaks

For your purpose, ditch the CAI. You don't need anything better than the stock intake until you're shooting for more power, and the stock intake will be easier to tune and also run a little cooler sitting in traffic. If it's a daily, IMHO, you don't really need more than what you're about to have (turboback + tune). After that, I'd look into suspension/brake mods, otherwise just keep the car as it is and enjoy it!

Yep. dump the cai, and get a Grimmspeed tmic when you can afford one.

With a Cobb AP, www.tuningalliance.com can send you a custom map for your set up.

He tuned my wagon years ago and it still runs great 100,000 miles later.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why do you guys recommend the intercooler being the next upgrade for Mintoneowner? Just curious.

I don't. Stock TMIC is just fine.

If an upgrade is in order, though, the GS TMIC is the best option on the market. It fits well, is much easier to install/remove, and I think it's without a doubt the best performing aftermarket TMIC, granted, I don't think you'd notice much difference between any of the various offerings on a stage 2 setup.

Because its inadequate. Very thin, gets heat soaked. While you dont NEED one at your mod level, its good to get one.

However at over 800 for a GS TMIC, you could spend 650? and get a FMS FMIC.

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

Hey folks,

Just got invidia turbo back, Cobb cai, gs uppipe on my 09. I haven't installed the parts, I'm going to get the ap3 then I have talked to a few tuners around the area.

I'm keeping this car as a daily, and need it reliable. Basically, want to have it tuned and run pump gas, and keep it worry free even if it's not the quickest thing out there.

My question is what would be the next step to bump up the performance? I don't want to swap turbos until stuff breaks

Dont install the GS Up-Pipe or the CAI. Turbo back is fine it will be loud and for a DD you may get tired of the drone (depending on your turbo-back setup)

If I were you:

Get a nice air filter (K&N, AVO, etc._

ProTue

Install the catback or the DP but not both at first

Its a 09 LGT that you are attempting to increase the over stock output it will induce more wear even if slightly.

A stock LGT with a upgraded filter and cleaned up tune is leaps and bounds better than all stock IMO.

I have a AP3 running OTS 93 OCT mapo waiting on my Protune from Tuning Alliance my mods are:

K&N air filter

New Synthetic Oil and Filter

New Coolant

Cleaned MAF

:)

The 09 already has a catless up-pipe. It can be confusing sometimes with the upgrade itch. All you really need is a downpipe and a 3" to 2.5" adapter for the stock CBE.

Get a good catted downpipe. The GrimmSpees downpipe is made very well; however, the cat is ok, but not OBD-II legal. Gesi makes EPA certified high flow cats ($380) that could be welded into an existing aftermarket downpipe.

Dont install the GS Up-Pipe or the CAI. Turbo back is fine it will be loud and for a DD you may get tired of the drone (depending on your turbo-back setup)

If I were you:

Get a nice air filter (K&N, AVO, etc._

ProTue

Install the catback or the DP but not both at first

Its a 09 LGT that you are attempting to increase the over stock output it will induce more wear even if slightly.

A stock LGT with a upgraded filter and cleaned up tune is leaps and bounds better than all stock IMO.

I have a AP3 running OTS 93 OCT mapo waiting on my Protune from Tuning Alliance my mods are:

K&N air filter

New Synthetic Oil and Filter

New Coolant

Cleaned MAF

:)

Well here's the deal. I'm all for saving money but got the parts at a good price. Either way, I'm doing a Dyno tune and not ots.

Cai - I want turbo sounds and such. I don't mind the price. How could Cobb sell a product that's worse?

Up pipe - I've seen actual cfm numbers stock non catted vs gs and gs flows better. Again, a good deal on it and don't mind installing.

I have the q300 right now installed. I want it louder. It sounds great but quiet. So that's not an issue. Figured with a cai and up pipe I should get slight performance with the Dyno tune along with cool turbo sounds

I would still run a the GS Up Pipe, it still will outflow the stock catless one, especially since you have it already (unless you can sell it without taking a hit).

Up pipe - I've seen actual cfm numbers stock non catted vs gs and gs flows better. Again, a good deal on it and don't mind installing.

I have the q300 right now installed. I want it louder. It sounds great but quiet. So that's not an issue. Figured with a cai and up pipe I should get slight performance with the Dyno tune along with cool turbo sounds

Flow may be higher, but how does the exit velocity compare between the two? I don't remember off the top of my head. Typically higher flow will result in lower velocity, with the tradeoff being spool vs top-end power. Just something to think about, based on your preference of performance.

The intake will likely net you a couple HP, but the tradeoff will be potential difficulty in tuning, issues with oiling the filter and fouling your MAF sensor (since the Cobb CAI uses an oiled filter), and higher intake temps in low-speed and stop-and-go driving in the city. The tradeoff is there for you to make. That said, I think the GS CAI is considerably better designed than the Cobb one, and they offer a dry-flow filter option as well.

Archived