LegacyGT.com

Developed my first leak

While I was under my car over the weekend replacing spark plugs, I noticed the rack was wet. It's leaking out of the top of the rack and trailing down. I've been very proud saying I had a very dry undercarriage but after 107k something was bound to leak sooner or later. I'm going to look into a new rack shortly. It's a relatively easy job on these cars but I felt inclined to share my first leak with everyone :lol:

Pretty common, Had my rack replaced June 2012.

You may get lucky with a tubing wrench in tightening that nut.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I recently noticed a leak on my PS rack too, I wonder if we're leaking from the same spot. Mines coming from the valve on the rack, under the dust seal.

Yup, same spot!

Max- it's trailing down onto the line in our cases. It's coming out of the gear that connects the rack to the steering shaft.

I seem to recall mine was leaking from the top seal where the steering shaft attaches as well as other places.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I seem to recall mine was leaking from the top seal where the steering shaft attaches as well as other places.

Where did you buy your rack? I keep finding them around the $300 range which is pretty expensive for a reman.

• 1 year later...

My rack is leaking also from the top dust seal (at 158K, not too bad considering). That is the only issue with the steering. I think I will need to replace the rack but I have heard there are issues with rebuilts or aftermarket units plus there is the pulling the rack adventure.

Has anyone tried to remove just the pinion assembly (Subaru calls it the Valve Assembly-Steering Gearbox PN 34113AG04A) and:

1. Rebuild just the Assembly?

2. Replace the entire assembly which lists for ~$150?

Alternatively throw a bottle of Lucas or Bars steering sealant (any good/bad experiences with either?) to hold me until Spring when I can remove the entire assembly (I do not have a garage).

If the Valve assembly replacement is not an option, can anyone recommend a rebuilt source (I saw others said Mavel) or an aftermarket unit they have found reliable or is the Subaru rack the only way to be sure?

Thanks for any ideas.

My rack is leaking also from the top dust seal (at 158K, not too bad considering). That is the only issue with the steering. I think I will need to replace the rack but I have heard there are issues with rebuilts or aftermarket units plus there is the pulling the rack adventure.

Has anyone tried to remove just the pinion assembly (Subaru calls it the Valve Assembly-Steering Gearbox PN 34113AG04A) and:

1. Rebuild just the Assembly?

2. Replace the entire assembly which lists for ~$150?

Alternatively throw a bottle of Lucas or Bars steering sealant (any good/bad experiences with either?) to hold me until Spring when I can remove the entire assembly (I do not have a garage).

If the Valve assembly replacement is not an option, can anyone recommend a rebuilt source (I saw others said Mavel) or an aftermarket unit they have found reliable or is the Subaru rack the only way to be sure?

Thanks for any ideas.

Indy rack and axle rebuilt mine. Indianapolis Indiana

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Archived