LegacyGT.com

5eat, valve body, trans go, problems

thorton0

05 outback xt

I purchased a used valve body with a trans go shift kit installed. it supposedly had 140k miles on the valve body, 20k on the trans go kit.

so I did the swap/install and everything went fine.

-when I go to drive it will wait a second or two, then it engages the transmission enough to stall the car

-if I immediately start driving it will shift through 4th gear before 25mph

-it will not downshift itself until the car starts to stall in each gear

did I do something wrong? do I need to take it all back apart? is the valve body no good? should I put the original back in?

i'm stuck, not sure what to do. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

I had about a quart of extra atf in the transmission. I fixed that. Checks perfect cold. The shifting and down shifting seem to be getting better. it likes to up shift sooner than it should and it hates to downshift until the engine starts to stumble. I've driven maybe 5 miles, hopefully i'm not doing more damage than good.

Still stalling at a stop in drive.

Sitting on the brake in drive it stalls

Sitting on the brake in reverse, it idles fine

Edited by thorton0

I did not read the service manual. I believe hexmods says not to do a reset.

I removed the pan and found 1 loose nut and 3 loose bolts. Everything else looks good. Not sure if that is my problem. But I tightened everything, RE torqued and I am putting the pan back on. Hopefully this solves my problems. Otherwise I will have to put my unmodified valve body back in.

There's nothing wrong with resetting the TCU, it's just that 95% of the time it accomplishes no added benefit after it is done making learning adjustments.

I do not know what is wrong here. VB could indeed be defective. All VB bolts should be torqued to 80in-lbs (NOT ft-lbs), and trans fluid level should be verified while hot, engine running, after car has completed a full hot/cold drive cycle and cooldown, as I have seen a perfect level drop as much as a full quart.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You can reset the TCU with FreeSSM if need be.

Also seconding what ClimberD said about fluid level. I got my car back for the shop that installed the center diff bushings and the fluid showed fine when off. But when it was on and hot, it was actually 4qt low :eek:

There's nothing wrong with resetting the TCU, it's just that 95% of the time it accomplishes no added benefit after it is done making learning adjustments.

I do not know what is wrong here. VB could indeed be defective. All VB bolts should be torqued to 80in-lbs (NOT ft-lbs), and trans fluid level should be verified while hot, engine running, after car has completed a full hot/cold drive cycle and cooldown, as I have seen a perfect level drop as much as a full quart.

thanks for the input. Especially about checking he level hot.

so I can guarantee all valve body bolts are torqued to 80 in/lbs. atf checks perfect hot. shifts and runs perfect until it warms up. once the car warms up, it cannot sit still in drive without stalling, shifts start to get harder and more uncomfortable, and up shifts very fast(1st-5th before 20 mph under some load).

not sure what to do. looks like I am putting my old valve body back in and hoping that should work.

so I can guarantee all valve body bolts are torqued to 80 in/lbs. atf checks perfect hot. shifts and runs perfect until it warms up. once the car warms up, it cannot sit still in drive without stalling, shifts start to get harder and more uncomfortable, and up shifts very fast(1st-5th before 20 mph under some load).

not sure what to do. looks like I am putting my old valve body back in and hoping that should work.

What happens in neutral when stopped while warm?

• 4 weeks later...

update!! I removed the transgo kit from the purchased valve body and installed the kit into my vb. I found 1 small spring had been put in backwards. so instead of pushing on the ball bearing. the ball had actually pushed down inside the spring. (one end of the spring was larger than the other)

so the kit is installed and working well. problem solved and it shifts great

• 2 years later...
update!! I removed the transgo kit from the purchased valve body and installed the kit into my vb. I found 1 small spring had been put in backwards. so instead of pushing on the ball bearing. the ball had actually pushed down inside the spring. (one end of the spring was larger than the other)

so the kit is installed and working well. problem solved and it shifts great

How long until the transmission learned and shifted properly? Mine only has 30 miles on it and it’s still acting all wonky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wonky?

I've done 4 of these VB's and had the cars running pretty decent within a few hundred miles.

Idk it’s just rough. If I floor it it goes to downshift and kind of bucks. Almost like it doesn’t know what gear to go to. Downshifts are harsh in general. Upshifts aren’t too bad. Firm but that’s what I want. I’ve only been able to get 30 miles if that on it so I guess I’m just being impatient.

For it to learn do I need a lot of stop and go? Granny driving? Full throttle? Also should I not be using the paddles until full auto is learned? I haven’t found a real good procedure other than people saying just drive it

if you drive it with the paddles does it downshift better and go? or does it buck and act similar to when in auto?

As for driving, I like to run them in sport mode with some aggressive or spirited driving. Normal stop and go and cruising mix in.

• 2 weeks later...
if you drive it with the paddles does it downshift better and go? or does it buck and act similar to when in auto?

As for driving, I like to run them in sport mode with some aggressive or spirited driving. Normal stop and go and cruising mix in.

It’s better with the paddles. It’s really when you floor it in full auto that it does weird things. I’m sure it will get better. Not even a tenth thru the learning process and it already seems a bit better. In the spring and summer I should be able to get some miles on it

Well Keep us posted. I've heard sometimes the Transgo Jr kits getting installed wrong causing bad driving behavior. Lets hope its just the learning process. :)

The guy builds them all the time so I doubt he messed up. It’s really not that bad. Just different. Problem is I really don’t put any miles on the car to get through the learning in a short amount of time. It’s been in for a month and I’d be surprised if I have 40 miles on it.