LegacyGT.com

My 98 Legacy GT Wagon Build Thread

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More progress, installed cam seals and oil pump seal and new timing belt kit and water pump. Did some cleaning up and next I'll start swapping out the cross member so I can get the engine mounted up. Still need to install the rear main seal and new clutch and flywheel but I'll wait until it's ready to go in to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Yeah that engine was completely toast..... sorry I haven’t updated in a while. I have been waiting on Parts and it has been cold ah hell!!! Soon I will be swapping In my 04 Wrx struts with H&R lowering springs. Installing camber bolts and swapping out the engine crossmember once the rest of my bushings come from subaru.

I’m still not sure on what ems to run. Currently I’m planning on using the jdm ver 4 sti (75) ecu and sending it to enduring solutions to have their daughter board installed and getting it stunned for the base map. Has anyone used enduring solutions or have a different recommendation as to what ems or ecu I should run?

• 3 weeks later...
Don't quote me on this but I remember someone taking a USDM WRX harness on installing it on a JDM EJ20 so they could use an 02-03 WRX Ecu to run the motor, but you're still gonna have to graft the engine harness into your body harness to get everything to play nice together. Keep up the progress!!

Finally got some time to work on the car, got all the front suspension out and the engine crossmember. Tomorrow I’ll put in the new freshly painted Wrx cross member and start re assembling the front suspension with some new parts. Hoping to have the new engine in place by next weekend!!cb4b995afa9d3d34fa6b67ae6299cc68.jpg905b3341836242e9a3b8b476a57607d5.jpg8d06007f96339c4a26cae5c2ed4c5e49.jpg

Have you tried eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132389835083

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122795613873

Expensive, but it comes with the ECU and full bulkhead harness and engine harness needed to hook that bad boy up. A small price to pay for a near plug n play solution. If it were me with that engine, I'd buy the Forester STI harness because that's what that motor came out of.

Have you tried eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132389835083

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122795613873

Expensive, but it comes with the ECU and full bulkhead harness and engine harness needed to hook that bad boy up. A small price to pay for a near plug n play solution. If it were me with that engine, I'd buy the Forester STI harness because that's what that motor came out of.

Are these the exact ones that I would need? My engine is from a 97 SF5. Also if so would the merge be the same as any other car?

The second link (https://www.ebay.com/itm/122795613873) is the exact harness and ECU for that motor. It is from a JDM SF5, so it will work. The merge would be the same, but it looks like it has not only the engine harness, but the bulkhead and even the SRS harness which is all behind the dash. This is by far the quickest way to get it running.

Basically, divorce the engine harness from the bulkhead harness and splice the wires into your bulkhead harness that you cut from the JDM harness.

• 3 weeks later...
More progress, jdm headlights are in, wiring is almost done and hooking up some of the small stuff.

JDM headlights are for right hand drive... illegal in left hand drive countries, not to mention unsafe for you & blinding to oncoming traffic :icon_frow If you want better than the plastic headlights, you need to find ECE lights from a left hand drive country.

... and on the positive side ;) I'm enjoying your thread. I always thought our '98 GT wagon, also black granite pearl, now with ~ 195K miles, would be more fun with ~100 more HP :D

Thanks for sharing your progress...

JDM headlights are for right hand drive... illegal in left hand drive countries, not to mention unsafe for you & blinding to oncoming traffic :icon_frow If you want better than the plastic headlights, you need to find ECE lights from a left hand drive country.

I was under the impression this only applies to projector headlights, as the cutoff is the wrong way. Standard diffuser type headlights can simply be aimed toward the right side of the road.

I was under the impression this only applies to projector headlights, as the cutoff is the wrong way. Standard diffuser type headlights can simply be aimed toward the right side of the road.

No, aiming doesn't solve the problem...

from Daniel Stern Lighting:

ECE/EEC Marking: Headlamp Suitability for Traffic Direction

This is a very important marking. All low ("passing", "lower", "dipped") beams are an asymmetrical distribution of light to give maximum seeing in the direction of travel while controlling glare light directed towards oncoming traffic. A headlamp intended for use in traffic that flows on the right side of the road must never be used on the left side of the road, nor must a left-traffic headlamp ever be used on the right side of the road. A wrong-side-of-road headlamp does not provide adequate illumination for the driver to see what he needs to see in order to drive safely, and severely blinds oncoming traffic. This cannot be corrected by adjusting the aim of the lamp, because traffic-handedness is intrinsic in the optics of the lamp. This means it is very unsafe to use UK-spec, Australian-spec, or Japanese-spec ("JDM") headlamps in the United States, Canada, Continental Europe or any other location that drives on the right side of the road. Many performance parts dealers are illegally importing and selling JDM or wrong-side-of-road ECE headlamps into North America, and touting them as a "performance improvement". They may or may not have ECE headlamp markings, but they are not a performance improvement -- they are a danger.

IMHO this is the best lighting solution for the US: German (or any other drive on right country) ECE lights. I've been looking, but haven't found any that will ship to the US... If they ship to US, they don't charge VAT, which is about 18%. What we need is somebody in Europe willing to buy lights from Subaru & ship to us. :D

Used ECE lights on ebay.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally pulled the trigger on my engine management set up and put the order in for my enduring solutions daughter board. Should be pretty nice. Customer service was awesome as I asked a million questions and they answered every one!

Once hat gets here it just a matter of tiring up a few small items and to finish the swap and then getting it tuned.

Archived