LegacyGT.com

My 98 Legacy GT Wagon Build Thread

It's time to start my build thread,

I have had my Wagon for over a year now and it just threw a rod so I decided to swap in a jdm EJ20G out of a 97 sf5 forester.

I picked up the engine, trans, diff, ecu and engine harness last week and ordered some refreshment parts and an 02 Wrx engine cross member to get things rolling.

But I have a question, the swap came with a #75 ecu from a 98 jdm sti. it's the same 3 plug ecu I need but will it run this engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subscribed. I'm about to pickup an EJ20G this month but I'm going to run a standalone ECU as it doesn't come with the bulkhead harness or matching ECU. I'm also planning on running a bigger turbo for more boost, bigger injectors, and other supporting mods, so even having the factory ECU won't work for it.

Yours looks like it's missing a few parts like the intercooler, turbo, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Something about the new motor jumped out at me. The oil cooler lines look bent to the point where they appear to be touching the exhaust manifold.

Also, do you mind taking a picture of the engine harness connectors on the new motor. I am about to purchase one of these motors and I need to see what those connectors look like, specifically the pin configuration.

Are those popular engines to buy? Or easier to find or something? I'd love to make my car this little turbo thing but have no idea where to find engines around here

See if you have any semi-local JDM shops. They're not a "popular" engine by comparison to the 2.0 STI motors, but they're a great alternative to those who want near-STI performance without the STI cost. STI turn-key motors go for $5k to $8k depending on the RI. The EJ20G can be had for less than a grand, whilst giving you around 250hp. Not a price for a 85 HP upgrade and a motor with more potential than the N/A. A buddy of mine who builds WRX and STI motors told me that the EJ20G from the JDM SF5 Forester can easily handle 300-350 HP WITH supporting mods and a good tune.

Damn yeah no jdm importers near me lol maybe probably Seattle for sure tho. Thanks for the info man

Ya my nearest importer is in Phoenix, about 110 mile drive one way. I do it so frequently that I don't even notice the distance anymore.

Something about the new motor jumped out at me. The oil cooler lines look bent to the point where they appear to be touching the exhaust manifold.

Also, do you mind taking a picture of the engine harness connectors on the new motor. I am about to purchase one of these motors and I need to see what those connectors look like, specifically the pin configuration.

its not bent that bad , just the angle of the picture.

sure ill get a picture of it tonight

• 4 weeks later...

Rear main, front oil pump and cam seals showed up today so I'll get those on and the new timing belt kit and swap out the subframe for the 02 Wrx one and get the new engine in its home [emoji106]281e6533093df9812c001a3f2fe841b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived