LegacyGT.com

1995 legacy coil pack on 98

I have a 1998 subaru legacy 2.2l and i also have a 2.2(i believe) 1995 legacy ls and was wondering if i can switch the coil pack from the 95 to 98 or if anyone has done it the 95 has the ngk blue silacone spark plug wires i would like to use on my 98 but the coil pack is diiferent can anyone help me?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

The earlier 2.2 (95-97?) were phase 1 then 97-00 they were phase 2, so only a few things are interchangeable

Actually I believe Phase 2 came in some late '98 models and '99 (my early '98 is still a phase 1). I agree with those who said the coil pack is interchangeable, but you need the spark plug wires that go with the same year car as the coil, as the connectors changed in the '96- '97 timeframe.

How do you know what phase it is im new to the subaru world...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Of the variants of EJ motors, the 1990-1998 Legacy & 92-98 Impreza EJ22E was a Phase 1. All EJ18 motors, found in the 92-99 Impreza, were Phase 1. The 96-99 Legacy GT/Outback, 98 Forester, and 98 Impreza RS had a Phase 1 EJ25D. In 1999, the Legacy Brighton and L models equipped with a 2.2 were Phase 2, known as the EJ222, but the 99 Legacy GT and Outback had a "Phase 1.5" EJ25D with Phase 1 heads and intake and a Phase 2 block. The 99-09 Forester and Impreza 2.5 has the EJ251/2/3 Phase 2 engine. The 2000-2009 N/A Outback, Baja, and Legacy had a Phase 2 EJ251/2/3 engine.

Phase 2 bottom ends will fit Phase 1 top ends and vice versa. The heads and intake dictate which electronics it uses between P1 and P2.

All N/A Phase 1 motors will work with any Phase 1 ECU and harness, all N/A Phase 2 motors will work with any Phase 2 ECU and harness.

There were some incremental differences between the engines internally, but overall, they're the same. Internals from any EJ engine will theoretically fit in another EJ. When building EJ's and mixing phases, there are a few exceptions.

For example, you can't use a Phase 2 crank in a Phase 1 block, and vice versa, unless you have the journals milled due to the position of the crank thrust bearing being moved. Pistons and rods can be mixed between phases. The top end (heads/intake) determine what ECU you use in your car, as you can't use a Phase 1 intake on Phase 2 heads. ECU and wiring is not plug and play and requires extensive manual labor to modify and merge harnesses.

totally interchangeable, ive used the same MSD on both. you just have to change a few things, like the plug wires, and make a harness adapter for the 95 coil. the coil itself is usable for both styles, otherwise the MSD upgrade wouldnt work on the older models.

Archived